Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jean-Francois Arcand <Je...@Sun.COM> on 2003/08/08 19:57:48 UTC

Xerces location and bug

Hi,

I've just realized that when you install Tomcat 5 from a fresh
workspace, Xerces is not copied under common/endorsed. I don't remember
what was the decision regarding Xerces. Have we decide to completely
remove it? If yes, then we shoud remove the dependency in
build.properties and unpdate the RELEASE-NOTES. What was the decision?

Also, when turning xml validation on with Xerces, all app throw the
following:

SEVERE: Parse Error at line 5 column 10: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the
declaration of element 'web-app'.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration of
element 'web-app'.
         at
org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown
Source)
         at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.error(Unknown Source)
         at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown
Source)
         at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown
Source)

I'm gonna investigate and try to come with a fix before sunday

Thanks,

-- Jeanfrancois

Re: Xerces location and bug

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just realized that when you install Tomcat 5 from a fresh
>>> workspace, Xerces is not copied under common/endorsed. I don't
>>> remember what was the decision regarding Xerces. Have we decide to
>>> completely remove it? If yes, then we shoud remove the dependency in
>>> build.properties and unpdate the RELEASE-NOTES. What was the decision?
>>
>> It's my fault (sorry), and there was a decision about that (but I
>> don't remember when it happened). I did it in April, for Tomcat 5.0.2
>> (looking at the CVS logs). I suppose putting it back could be considered.
>
> I agree. the xmlXXX element are still available on the <host> element so
> we should still support it. I can work on putting it back if everybody
> agree.

I think the rationale was:
- It uses 800KB
- It makes Tomcat takes about 10 - 15% more time to startup than Crimson
- Few people use it (a significant amount use JDK 1.4, and IBM JDK users
have it integrated ;-) )
- We're not going to do a JDK 1.4 version of TC
- Server side validation is dead slow (esp schema validation ;-) ), so
it is not a problem if it doesn't work ;-)
- Better tools are IMO provided for validation (come on, try the
deployer a little bit :) ); the deployer also uses the validation code
you put in ContextConfig (so don't worry, your code is not useless even
if validation is disabled): see the ValidatorTask

You should be able to unearth that in the archives and see what the
reasons given were.
I think these are decent reasons for removing it from the server package.

>> Xerces is included with the deployer, where it is used for webapp
>> validation (which works good for me in the deployer), so it shouldn't
>> be removed completely.
>
> Strange.I think the web.xml is not mapped to the proper dtd (IMBW) when
> used from the endorsed dir.

Really ?

>>> Also, when turning xml validation on with Xerces, all app throw the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> SEVERE: Parse Error at line 5 column 10: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the
>>> declaration of element 'web-app'.
>>> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the declaration
>>> of element 'web-app'.
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown
>>> Source)
>>>         at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.error(Unknown
>>> Source)
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
>>
>> ?
>> That's a bit odd. What's that: cvc-elt.1 ?
>
> Same things here....I really like debugging cvc-elt.1 ;-)

It doesn't seem a fatal error, though. The webapps are working despite
the error.

Remy

Re: Xerces location and bug

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just realized that when you install Tomcat 5 from a fresh
>>> workspace, Xerces is not copied under common/endorsed. I don't
>>> remember what was the decision regarding Xerces. Have we decide to
>>> completely remove it? If yes, then we shoud remove the dependency in
>>> build.properties and unpdate the RELEASE-NOTES. What was the decision?
>>
>> It's my fault (sorry), and there was a decision about that (but I
>> don't remember when it happened). I did it in April, for Tomcat 5.0.2
>> (looking at the CVS logs). I suppose putting it back could be considered.
>
> I agree. the xmlXXX element are still available on the <host> element so
> we should still support it. I can work on putting it back if everybody
> agree.

I think the rationale was:
- It uses 800KB
- It makes Tomcat takes about 10 - 15% more time to startup than Crimson
- Few people use it (a significant amount use JDK 1.4, and IBM JDK users
have it integrated ;-) )
- We're not going to do a JDK 1.4 version of TC
- Server side validation is dead slow (esp schema validation ;-) ), so
it is not a problem if it doesn't work ;-)
- Better tools are IMO provided for validation (come on, try the
deployer a little bit :) ); the deployer also uses the validation code
you put in ContextConfig (so don't worry, your code is not useless even
if validation is disabled): see the ValidatorTask

You should be able to unearth that in the archives and see what the
reasons given were.
I think these are decent reasons for removing it from the server package.

>> Xerces is included with the deployer, where it is used for webapp
>> validation (which works good for me in the deployer), so it shouldn't
>> be removed completely.
>
> Strange.I think the web.xml is not mapped to the proper dtd (IMBW) when
> used from the endorsed dir.

Really ?

Re: Xerces location and bug

Posted by Jean-Francois Arcand <Je...@Sun.COM>.