Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Thomas Boehne <TB...@ADwin.de> on 2008/05/08 15:05:47 UTC

REPORT request failed

Hi list,

I seem to be experiencing the same problem that has already been
mentioned in this post:

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=56376

I get the same error messages (except for the revision number and the
paths), and I also suspect that cvs2svn caused the problem a few
months ago. However, the repository has been used quite heavily after
the cvs2svn import, so I cannot just revert to the last working
backup.

Any ideas how to fix the repository?

I am using the debian/stable versions of subversion, berkeleydb and
apache2.

Best regards
Thomas Böhne

Re: REPORT request failed

Posted by Thomas Böhne <TB...@adwin.de>.
Keith,

On Saturday 10 May 2008 02:56, Keith Lawless wrote:
> The problem is likely bad characters in the log messages that can't
> be send over HTTP. If you can identify which log messages contain
> invalid characters, you can use the svnadmin setlog command (on the
> server) to edit those message.

thanks for the very helpful answer. In case somebody else runs into
this problem, here is what I did to fix my repository:

First, I pulled all log messages from the repository, discarding the
acutal log output. For the erratic log entries, a line with the
revision showed up in stderr:

for a in `seq 1258` ; do svn log -r $a http://svn-server/svn/ ; done > /dev/null
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/!svn/bc/830'
svn: REPORT of '/svn/!svn/bc/830': 200 OK (http://svn-server)
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/!svn/bc/852'
svn: REPORT of '/svn/!svn/bc/852': 200 OK (http://svn-server)
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/!svn/bc/857'
svn: REPORT of '/svn/!svn/bc/857': 200 OK (http://svn-server)
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/!svn/bc/869'
svn: REPORT of '/svn/!svn/bc/869': 200 OK (http://svn-server)

For each line, I manually fetched the log message locally on the
server (bypassing http) like this:

svn log -r 830 file:///var/lib/svn/

After manually fixing the broken characters and saving it in a file
called msg, I used the svnadmin tool as Keith suggested:

svnadmin setlog /var/lib/svn/ -r 830 --bypass-hooks msg

The switch --bypass-hooks was necessary for me, otherwise svnadmin
complained.

Regards,
Thomas

Re: REPORT request failed

Posted by Keith Lawless <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Thomas Boehne <TB...@adwin.de> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I seem to be experiencing the same problem that has already been
> mentioned in this post:
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=56376
>
> I get the same error messages (except for the revision number and the
> paths), and I also suspect that cvs2svn caused the problem a few
> months ago. However, the repository has been used quite heavily after
> the cvs2svn import, so I cannot just revert to the last working
> backup.
>
> Any ideas how to fix the repository?

The problem is likely bad characters in the log messages that can't be send
over HTTP. If you can identify
which log messages contain invalid characters, you can use the svnadmin
setlog command (on the server)
to edit those message.

Keith