Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Puneet Vardhan <pu...@sengen.com> on 2001/04/18 17:05:04 UTC

How to access Action Mapping instance if session expires

Hi,
	How can I access the action mapping instance if session is expired?
I have a global forward in struts-config.xml which points to logon page

	<global-forwards>
    	<forward   name="logon"  path="/logon.jsp"/>
     	</global-forwards>

	in session expires  I need to forward to logon page

	something like    if ( session == null ) mapping.findForward(logon);

	Is the ActionMapping object kept in session scope or application
scope?
Thanks
Puneet

Re: How to access Action Mapping instance if session expires

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Puneet Vardhan wrote:

> Hi,
> 	How can I access the action mapping instance if session is expired?
> I have a global forward in struts-config.xml which points to logon page
>
> 	<global-forwards>
>     	<forward   name="logon"  path="/logon.jsp"/>
>      	</global-forwards>
>
> 	in session expires  I need to forward to logon page
>
> 	something like    if ( session == null ) mapping.findForward(logon);
>
> 	Is the ActionMapping object kept in session scope or application
> scope?
> Thanks
> Puneet

The ActionMapping instances themselves are stored in application scope,
because they are constant for the entire application (and shared by all
users).

Within an Action.perform() method, the logic you've described above should
work fine.

Craig

Re: How to access Action Mapping instance if session expires

Posted by Rajan Gupta <rg...@yahoo.com>.
I am not sure if u can, since actionmapping is a protected variable in
ActionServlet. Storing it in session will result in bloating the session
unnecessary, if u store it in application context, I do not think you can
get access to the application context in HttpSessionBindingEvent. You
might want to consider a kludge such as using a singleton to access the
the actionmapping & extending ActionServlet.
If number of sessions & memory is not an issue for you, then you could
consider putting it in the session

http://auctions.yahoo.com/