Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Artem Ervits <ar...@nyp.org> on 2013/06/08 00:01:00 UTC

problems with an installation

I originally installed an ambari-provisioned cluster with version 1.2.2.5. Hive/HCat service was never working from the beginning. I upgraded the server to 1.2.3.7 with hopes it had a fix for the issues I'm having but to no avail. I tried to figure it out on my own as well and I wasn't successful. If anyone know what's happening during service start, the message is:

su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server ']/Exec[su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server ']/returns: env: /tmp/startMetastore.sh: Permission denied

where is this permission issue coming from? I chose to use a password for metastore with all kinds of characters.

Thank you

This electronic message is intended to be for the use only of the named recipient, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error or are not the named recipient, please notify us immediately by contacting the sender at the electronic mail address noted above, and delete and destroy all copies of this message.  Thank you.

RE: problems with an installation

Posted by Artem Ervits <ar...@nyp.org>.
I'm still getting the permissions issue, I gave hive user permissions to /var/log/hive and still there are no logs there.

notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Service/File[/tmp/startMetastore.sh]/mode: mode changed '1777' to '0755'
notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Service/File[/tmp/startHiveserver2.sh]/mode: mode changed '1777' to '0755'
notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Service/Hdp::Exec[su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server ']/Exec[su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server ']/returns: env: /tmp/startMetastore.sh: Permission denied
err: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Service/Hdp::Exec[su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server ']/Exec[su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server ']/returns: change from notrun to 0 failed: su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server ' returned 126 instead of one of [0] at /var/lib/ambari-agent/puppet/modules/hdp/manifests/init.pp:340
notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Service/Hdp::Exec[su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server ']/Anchor[hdp::exec::su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server '::end]: Dependency Exec[su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server '] has failures: true
warning: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Service/Hdp::Exec[su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server ']/Anchor[hdp::exec::su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server '::end]: Skipping because of failed dependencies
notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Service/File[/application/run/hive/hive.pid]: Dependency Exec[su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server '] has failures: true
warning: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Service/File[/application/run/hive/hive.pid]: Skipping because of failed dependencies
notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Service/Anchor[hdp-hive::service::end]: Dependency Exec[su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server '] has failures: true
warning: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Service/Anchor[hdp-hive::service::end]: Skipping because of failed dependencies
notice: Finished catalog run in 2.74 seconds

Just to confirm, you are no longer getting the permission error, right?
Have you checked the log files under /var/log/hive on the host where Hive Metastore is located?

Yusaku

Posted by Artem Ervits <ar...@nyp.org>.
Ok got a bit further now, if I execute on the command line:

su - hive -c  'env HADOOP_HOME=/usr JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun.x86_64 /tmp/startMetastore.sh /var/log/hive/hive.out /var/log/hive/hive.log /application/run/hive/hive.pid /etc/hive/conf.server'

I get

Posted by Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Artem Ervits <ar...@nyp.org>.

Posted by Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com>.