Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> on 2011/06/27 21:42:32 UTC

ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

I'm cc'ing the POI and OpenOffice projects, inviting them to join this
discussion on the Incubator general list: general@incubator.apache.org

When we were discussing the OpenOffice proposal a few weeks ago I
mentioned that there was another set of technology called the ODF
Toolkit, that we might want to bring to Apache as well.  I heard some
enthusiasm for this at the time, but I didn't have the bandwidth to
put together another proposal.  Now I do.  I'd like to pitch the idea,
and see if there is still interest in having a formal incubation
proposal submitted, and if so, identifying a Champion and Sponsor for
the proposal.

Note that this would not be a fork.  The ODF Toolkit Union Steering
Committee met this morning and agreed to propose moving to Apache.

As you probably know, ODF == Open Document Format, a open standard
document format for office documents.  The ODF standard is created at
OASIS and then sent to ISO/IEC JTC1 for transposition into an
International Standard.  ODF 1.0 was first published in 2005.  ODF 1.1
came out in 2007.  And ODF 1.2 is "Candidate OASIS Standard" awaiting
final approval in OASIS, probably by end of September.  ODF 1.2 is
what most applications are supporting today.   OpenOffice,
LibreOffice, Symphony, KOffice/Calligra Suite use ODF as native
formats.  Other applications, including Microsoft Office, Corel
Wordperfect and Google Docs offer some degree of import/export
support.  ODF 1.2 is the version also supported by the ODF Toolkit.

The ODF Toolkit Union maintains the following toolkits, all of them
under the Apache 2.0 license:

1) ODFDOM is Java-based typed DOM API, relatively low level, a 1-to-1
mapping to the ODF schema.  In fact, much of the code is generated by
processing the schema.

http://odftoolkit.org/projects/odfdom/pages/Home

2) Simple Java API for ODF is a high level wrapper of ODFDOM.  So
operations that might require several DOM-level operations, like
deleting a column in a spreadsheet, are a single operation in the
Simple API.  Search and replace, copying slides from one presentation
to another, adding hyperlinks to a selection, etc., are top level
operations.

http://simple.odftoolkit.org/

3) The Conformance Tools projects is also in Java, and includes an
online conformance checker of ODF documents, which can also be run in
command line mode.

http://odftoolkit.org/projects/conformancetools/pages/Home

4) XSLTRunner and XSLT Runner Task allows easy use of XSLT transforms
with ODF documents.

http://odftoolkit.org/projects/conformancetools/pages/ODFXSLTRunner

5) AODL is a C#/.NET library for ODF

http://odftoolkit.org/projects/aodl/pages/Home

I think there is natural synergy with Apache, especially with the Java
components.  For example, I could see publishing pipelines involving
the ODF Toolkit with PDFBox, Batik, FOP, and POI. Having these tools
under a common license, in one place, has obvious benefits.

Moving this project over would not be a large technical effort.
Mercurial ==> SVN,  some simple website/wiki migration, 30 or so
pages, a few mailing lists and bugzilla databases.  It is currently on
the Kenai infrastructure, so similar to OpenOffice, just much, much
smaller in scale.

I'm open as to whether this would be best eventually as a TLP or as
part of an existing project, like POI or even OpenOffice.  I'm leaning
a little toward having this as a TLP, but I'm open to other ideas.

Also, since this is already an open source project with all code under
Apache 2.0, I assume no SGA is required?

So please let me know if you agree that Apache would be a good
location to further develop the ODF Toolkit libraries.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Keep in mind this thread is in three places or two places or one place all depending on how people have replied. It will be confusing. Please include POI-DEV so we can discuss it here without going everywhere else as well.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
These things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_POI#History_and_roadmap) just make me cringe.  At least Charles Simonyi (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Simonyi>)has the consolation of traveling into space (twice!) and various philanthropic activities.

I assume, when speaking of an OLE2 Compound Document File format, one is *not* speaking of all Microsoft Office file formats but specifically the Office 97 - 2003 (-2010?) binary container format also known, I believe, as the DocFile format?  (I thought it was used in Word 6.0 too, but I don't trust my recollection.)

Perhaps an appropriate expression (although I love the JIRA connection to Godzilla, had I known it) for Japanese consumption would be Honorable SpreadSheet Format, eXalted SpreadSheet Format, etc.

A certain tilting of the head is appropriate when speaking the names of these objects.  POIFS is, respectfully, the Politely Obvious Information File System.  DDF (Devilish Drawing Format) is spoken of only in hushed reverence at mens smokers.  VDGF is certainly more appropriate for the Venerable DiaGram Format.

The details of CDF, some common components, and their use representing documents of the different Office Applications, are now available on-line in a show of compliance to various regulatory authorities: <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc313118.aspx>.  The set has been expanded to include the Outlook .PST format, though I suspect that might not be based on CDF.

I cannot attest to anything about their quality or accuracy, limiting my struggles at overcoming obfuscation to ODF these days.

 - Dennis

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 27, 2011, at 5:13 PM, Kazunari Hirano wrote:

> Hi Sam,
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> The original acronym was intended as a joke:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_POI#History_and_roadmap
> Oh, Wow!, I love it, and I see why, I am reading
> http://poi.apache.org/ through, but I can't find the explanation.

The wikipedia did explain why we took it off it an accurate way. The 10 year anniversary is coming up and I'll make a note about putting that back up.

The email link on the wikipedia page is not to the real flame war that happened over OSP and OOXML. And I would really not want to repeat that experience. So, I'll let Andy have it his way.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sam,

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ross,
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Ross Gardler
> <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> When you see an email address such as "dev@poi.apache.org", you can
>> assume there is a top level project of that name. So POI is a project
>> name. You can then visit http://poi.apache.org/ and (if documented
>> well) you will find some assistance.
>
> Now I see POI is a top level project, TLP :)
> I will try to read http://poi.apache.org/ through to find out whether
> POI is an acronym or a truncation of a Japanese word.
> :)

The original acronym was intended as a joke:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_POI#History_and_roadmap

> Thanks,
> khirano

- Sam Ruby

Re: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ross,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 28 June 2011 00:18, Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:

... <snipped an amazing array of acronyms and project names extracted
from this thread>

> Let us start with POI (because you are CCing to dev@poi.apache.org)
> Can you tell me what is POI?
> What does POI stand for?
> Is POI an acronym?

When you see an email address such as "dev@poi.apache.org", you can
assume there is a top level project of that name. So POI is a project
name. You can then visit http://poi.apache.org/ and (if documented
well) you will find some assistance.

In this case the project homepage title says "Apache POI - the Java
API for Microsoft Documents", further reading will explain more
(there's a mission statement on the home page too).

Ross

Re: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob and all,

Please help a non-English speaker, it's me :) , in the midst of
jargon; ODF, Apache, OASIS, ISO/IEC JTC1, OpenOffice, LibreOffice,
Symphony, KOffice/Calligra, Microsoft Office, Corel Wordperfect,
Google Docs, ODFDOM, DOM API, Conformance Tools, XSLTRunner, AODL,
C#/.NET, Java, PDFBox, Batik, FOP, POI, Mercurial, SVN, Kenai, TLP,
SGA.

I know ODF, OASIS and ISO/IEC because I am from OpenOffice.org and we
fought for it :)
http://iso26300.info/ja-jp/

Now I am getting familiar with Apache, incubating, incubator,
incubation, podling and podlet :)

I thought JIRA is an acronym.
No, it's not.  I found
http://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=192544#JIRAFAQ-WhatdoesJIRAmean%3F
yesterday.
JIRA comes from Japanese words "GoJIRA(Godzilla)" and "KuJIRA(Whale)."
:)

--
Kazunari Hirano
http://openoffice.exblog.jp/

Re: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
I'm top posting because you've answered most of the immediate issues I
had. I apologise for not having looked deeper and found the activity
you are referring to. I was clearly only looking at top level mailing
lists. Thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction,
that kenai site is quite confusing (at least when browsing it from a
phone on a train ;-)

Ross

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)
OpenDirective http://opendirective.com

Re: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Lee Fisher <bl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is activity.  It just is not evenly distributed.
> [...]
>
> I presume the activity is more in the Java libraries. :-)

I not asking you to presume anything.  I'm just following up on
interest expressed on this list a few weeks ago.   If you find the
Java libraries to be interesting but not the .NET library, then that
would be good to know.

Posted by Lee Fisher <bl...@gmail.com>.
 > There is activity.  It just is not evenly distributed.
[...]

I presume the activity is more in the Java libraries. :-)

As for activity in the AODL, the .NET library:

The home page's link to source is broken.
http://odftoolkit.org/projects/aodl/pages/Home
points to:
http://odftoolkit.org/sources/aodl-src/show
"The page you were looking for doesn't exist."

The wiki was last updated in 2009.

The only msgs posted to the (dev, commits, issues) lists in 2011 were a
set of 6 msgs by a spammer (off-topic). The one exception is Rob's
posting the Apache incubation FYI to the dev list, no response to that msg.

Half of the bugs were last updated in 2009, the other half were updated
in 2010.

The downloads were last modified "about 1 year ago". There are 3 current
files to download, bin, src, and src_not_working. I don't understand the
latter download.

Fwd: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
Sorry, I failed to cc the POI list.  Please include on any responses
all three lists:

<ge...@incubator.apache.org>, <oo...@incubator.apache.org>,
<de...@poi.apache.org>

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Thanks Rob,

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com> wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> If I understand correctly, the practice at Apache would be to remove
> these legacy copyright statements and aggregate them into a single
> NOTICE document.  This would be true, even if it says "DO NOT ALTER OR
> REMOVE".  I imagine they would even tear off those tags on mattresses.

Fully disagree:

"Do not modify or remove any copyright notices or licenses within
third-party works."

-- http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

At times we have politely requested that the copyright holder remove
their headers; but if we can not get agreement on that we respect the
license terms under which the software has been offered.

> -Rob

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
On Jun 27, 2011, at 5:51 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Daniel Shahaf
> <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote on Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 19:00:50 -0400:
>>> Hi Dennis,
>>>
>>> If I understand correctly, the practice at Apache would be to remove
>>> these legacy copyright statements and aggregate them into a single
>>> NOTICE document.  This would be true, even if it says "DO NOT
>>> ALTER OR
>>> REMOVE".  I imagine they would even tear off those tags on
>>> mattresses.
>>>

>> To whom does the pronoun "they" refer?
>>

> Sorry, that is a joke that probably only makes sense in the US.

I'm so glad you clarified that this doesn't refer to "what the meaning
of 'is' is"... ;-)

And the mattress joke isn't too far away in n-space, even though no
mattresses were used in the 'is' reference.

Craig

> More information that you ever wanted to know on mattress sales in the
> US can be found here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matress_tag
>
> -Rob

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Rob Weir wrote on Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 07:52:58 -0400:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> > Rob Weir wrote on Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 20:51:53 -0400:

> >> Sorry, that is a joke that probably only makes sense in the US.
> >
> > You did not answer my question.
> >

> You could parse "they" as being a nominative third person plural
> impersonal.  In English, not all pronouns refer to antecedents in the
> text.  The exceptions are the impersonals.

As long as "they" was not intended to refer to "Apache" I'm happy.

Re: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote on Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 20:51:53 -0400:

>> > To whom does the pronoun "they" refer?
>> >

>> Sorry, that is a joke that probably only makes sense in the US.
>
> You did not answer my question.

You could parse "they" as being a nominative third person plural
impersonal.  In English, not all pronouns refer to antecedents in the
text.  The exceptions are the impersonals.

"The impersonal is used in English to make general statements without
a specified agent. An agent, in the case of the impersonal, is defined
as the persons who perform the action of the verb. Although the
impersonal pronouns in English are officially the one pronouns (one,
someone, no one, anyone), the third person plural pronoun they as well
as the second person pronoun you and the noun people can also be used
in the construction of the impersonal in English. Such impersonal
markers can also be mixed and matched as in the case of mixing one
with their in the example One should always wash their hands before
eating."

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/hubfolio/heather-marie-kosur/articles/38523.aspx#ixzz1QZPmWx68

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.
Hi Dennis,

Posted by Lee Fisher <bl...@gmail.com>.
On 7/1/11 7:33 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> [...] We talked to the maintainer of the C#/AODL
> component and he confirmed that it is not really active anymore.  He
> might move it to bitbucket.  So our plan will be to propose moving
> only the Java components over to Apache, [...]

Also, the AODL project's home page says that the library is
Apache2-licensed; however the AODL library relies on the SharpZipLib
library, which is GPL2 with some Classpath-like exception explained here:
http://sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/
http://sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/GPL.asp

It looks like someone removed this GPL SharpZipLib dependency when
someone did a Silverlight port, but I don't see that this patch is in
the main code, but rather in a fork:
http://odftoolkit.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=109
https://bitbucket.org/chrisc/aodl/

Re: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Rob Weir wrote:
> We continue to discuss moving this work to Apache.  Feedback so far has
> been to try for an eventual TLP.  We're starting to draft the Incubation
> proposal.  We talked to the maintainer of the C#/AODL component and he
> confirmed that it is not really active anymore.  He might move it to
> bitbucket.  So our plan will be to propose moving only the Java
> components over to Apache,

I'm happy to help with mentoring this proposal. Let me know if you need a
hand with drafting the proposal.

In terms of an eventual TLP goal, and POI interaction/integration, that's
something we can all discuss and decide during the incubation process

> Also, we just announced a new release (more info below) and are
> starting work on our next release, which is targeted to add support
> for document encryption and digital signatures.

One thing to be aware of is that your first release at Apache is always
much much harder than every subsequent one! There's a lot to be said for
doing a small, incremental release ASAP to get the process sorted, rather
than trying to tackle the release when there's lots of exciting features
blocked by (say) a missing license and a broken signature!

Nick

Re: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
We continue to discuss moving this work to Apache.  Feedback so far
has been to try for an eventual TLP.  We're starting to draft the
Incubation proposal.  We talked to the maintainer of the C#/AODL
component and he confirmed that it is not really active anymore.  He
might move it to bitbucket.  So our plan will be to propose moving
only the Java components over to Apache,

Also, we just announced a new release (more info below) and are
starting work on our next release, which is targeted to add support
for document encryption and digital signatures.

Regards,

-Rob

-------------------------------

We are pleased to announce the release of the Simple Java API for ODF
version 0.6.5 today. The improvements in this version focus on text
documents.

They are:

-Hard page breaks, including appending page break at the end of a text
document and appending a page break after a referenced paragraph.

-Headings, including appending heading to documents, and changing
plain text as heading;

-Comments, including attaching a comment to a text selection and to a
paragraph;

-Paragraph font, including getting/setting paragraph's font size,
style, color and so on;

-Paragraph alignment, including getting/setting text alignment of a paragraph;

-Hyperlinks, including applying hyperlink to a selection, a paragraph,
an image and a span.

An introduction to the new functions has been added to the Cookbook:

http://simple.odftoolkit.org/cookbook/Text Document.html

An interesting code sample to show how to use these new functions to
format a text document is available in the website:

http://simple.odftoolkit.org/demo/demo10.html

The full release notes, including a list of patches can be found in the wiki:

http://odftoolkit.org/projects/simple/pages/ReleaseNotes

The binary file can be downloaded from:

http://odftoolkit.org/projects/simple/downloads/directory/0.6.5

The Java doc, sample codes and cookbook in the website have been updated:

http://simple.odftoolkit.org/documents.html

Re: ODF Toolkit Incubation Pre-Proposal

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Thanks Rob,

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
Hi Rob,

I'm a committer and PMC in the POI project and I'm interested in
integration with the ODF Toolkit.
Apache will be a good home for this codebase and many ASF projects
will benefit from it.

For POI I see the following potential benefits:
 - have a common Java API to manipulate with Spreadsheet, Document and
Presentation files transparently from the format (binary MS Office
files, OOXML files or ODF files).
 - Extend POI tools to support ODF. For example, POI's formula
evaluation module enables you to calculate the result of formulas in
Excels sheets. I'm sure it will be a popular feature for ODF too.
 - unified interfaces for text extractors. This is a conduit to
content analysis toolkits like Apache Tika.

I think we should start a new TLP with a possibility that ODF Toolkit
and POI will converge into one project in the future.

I thought about including the ODF Toolkit as part of Apache POI, but
it is not a good idea at the moment. POI's niche is Java API for
Office documents.  The Conformance Tools and the C#/.NET library don't
fit in it. Also, the ODF Toolkit is Maven-driven and POI is
Ant-driven.

Yegor

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
Passing along, from the ooo-dev list.