Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Andreas Fester <An...@gmx.de> on 2005/06/14 19:16:42 UTC

Automake enhancements

Hi,

attached is a proposal for an enhanced automake configuration regarding
logchar. I added the following changes:

- removed check for UNICODE (--enable-unicode,
    [UTF-16 Unicode support (default=no)]),
   because the UNICODE define is not used anywhere. Please
   correct me if this assumption is wrong.

- Modified checking for wchar_t.
   The configure scripts only sets the value of HAS_WCHAR_T depending
   on whether wchar_t was found or not.

- Added new option --with-logchar=TYPE
   TYPE can be UTF8, WCHAR or CFSTRING. Default is UTF8.
   The following #defines are set in log4cxx.h,
   according to the choosen type:

        LOG4CXX_LOGCHAR_IS_UTF8
        LOG4CXX_LOGCHAR_IS_WCHAR
        LOG4CXX_LOGCHAR_IS_CFSTRING

   Only one of these #defines is set to 1, the others are set to 0.
   Setting of LOG4CXX_LOGCHAR_IS_WCHAR depending on the setting of
   LOG4CXX_LOGCHAR_IS_UTF8 in log4cxx.h has been removed, IHMO its
   more straighforward (and easier to extend) to let the configure
   script (or build.xml) set exactly one of these values to 1.

- I am not sure whether there is a dependency between the
   existence of wchar_t and the logchar type; it is currently assumed
   that they are independant (wchar_t defines if the API contains
   wchar_t / wstring methods or not, the logchar type defines which
   type to use for logstring).

Regards,

	Andreas

--