Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rajat Pandit <ra...@manchitra.com> on 2004/03/10 12:02:14 UTC

porting to struts

Hello All,
we have a product which was built on an inhouse developed controller, and we are currently planning to port the application on struts. This application was built on the MVC architecture with a central controller as the application entry point.

for phase I we have to make additional modules for this product and then later integrate these modules in the new ported application. my questions are as follows.

a. can i build the new modules around ActionServlet so that the current controller can pass the control to the struts controller when required.
b. will i be able to access the objects stored in the request, application or session objects by the current controller frm my action class?
c. will the ActionController be able to load the database connections/connection pooling (we are using oracle)
d. will there be any performance issues?

do let me know your views. i need to make a report today and send it over.
thanks a lot in advance for ur time.

best regards
rajat

Re: porting to struts

Posted by Rajat Pandit <ra...@manchitra.com>.
:) thanks a lot everyone for ur valuable inputs!!! in case anyone forsees
any possible bottlenecks, please do let me know!
rajat
Posted by Geeta Ramani <ge...@cmpco.com>.
Correction:

Re: porting to struts

Posted by Geeta Ramani <ge...@cmpco.com>.
Rajat:

Markus is quite right.. however, for what it's worth, you may like to know we pretty
much did exactly what you are suggesting:  Relaese 2 of one of our bigger web
applications was an extension (funcionality-wise) of Release 1.  Relaese 1 was
completely written with servlets/jsps and we chose to use Struts for Release 2.  Also,
as you mention below, access to the connection pool logic was written early on
(therefore with a servlet).  Relaese 2 thus was a combination of the old and the new
and we have not seen any problems at all. In fact Release 3 is now ready (in a couple
of weeks) to be moved into production - this has more Struts stuff - and testing has
produced no issues at all which were related to the fcat of Struts and non-Struts code
living togther.  As far a we can see, it is a happy co-existance..  Which of course
makes sense, since Struts is after all a glorified servlet, albeit a great one..:)

Hope this helps and good luck with your new Struts venture!
Geeta

Re: porting to struts

Posted by Markus <ma...@gmx.com>.

Re: porting to struts

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.
On 10 Mar 2004, at 12:02, Rajat Pandit wrote:

> Hello All,
> we have a product which was built on an inhouse developed controller,
> and we are currently planning to port the application on struts. This
> application was built on the MVC architecture with a central
> controller as the application entry point.
>
> for phase I we have to make additional modules for this product and
> then later integrate these modules in the new ported application. my
> questions are as follows.
>
> a. can i build the new modules around ActionServlet so that the
> current controller can pass the control to the struts controller when
> required.

You can use servlets and the struts action servlet together yes

> b. will i be able to access the objects stored in the request,
> application or session objects by the current controller frm my action
> class?

Yes.