Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Muqtafi Akhmad <mu...@traveloka.com> on 2015/09/07 05:26:15 UTC

Message Id in Kafka Keyed Message

hello all,

I've read KeyedMessage in doc, in which KeyedMessage is described as tuple
of topic, key, and value and its said that

> If a partition key is provided it will override the key for the purpose of
> partitioning but will not be stored.

Does it means that it is safe to just randomize value of key? is there any
rules/ restrictions about key's value?

Thank you,

Muqtafi Akhmad

Re: Message Id in Kafka Keyed Message

Posted by Muqtafi Akhmad <mu...@traveloka.com>.
I just figured out that it is ok to assign random value as message key
after reading kafka protocol guide (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/A+Guide+To+The+Kafka+Protocol
)

Thank you,