Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by "kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com" <ku...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/05 16:19:39 UTC

Proposal to switch to pull requests

Hello,

Since we have a nice mirrored git repository for hive[1], any specific
reason why we can't switch to doing pull requests instead of patches? IMHO
pull requests are awesome for peer review plus it is also very easy to keep
track of JIRAs with open pull requests instead of looking for JIRAs in a
"Patch Available" state. Also since they get updated automatically, it is
also very easy to see if a review comment made by a reviewer was addressed
properly or not.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

[1] https://github.com/apache/hive

--
Swarnim

Re: Proposal to switch to pull requests

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
Agree with Carl about git merge commits, they make the changes hard to
follow. But it should be OK, if there is no way to disable it in the
main git repo, it is a small set of active committers, we can make a
policy and expect people to follow it.
But we should certainly disable 'git push -f' (and anything as distruptive).

Posted by Carl Steinbach <cw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 to git!

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Switching to git from svn seems to be a proposal slightly different from
> that of switching to pull request from the head of the thread. Personally
> I'm +1 to git, but I think patches are very portable and widely adopted in
> Hadoop ecosystem and we should keep the practice. Thus, +1 to that also.
>
> --Xuefu
>

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Gunther Hagleitner <
> ghagleitner@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> > Once Prasad's loop finishes I'd like to add my +1 too.
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Vaibhav Gumashta <
> > vgumashta@hortonworks.com
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > +1 for moving to git!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > --Vaibhav
> > >

> > > On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Prasad Mujumdar <prasadm@cloudera.com

> thejas@hortonworks.com>

> from
> you
> > go

> have
> > must

> https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and

> > > easy
> > > JIRAs
> > > automatically,
> was

> > http://mrunit.apache.org

> > > confidential,
> the
> > > notified
> > have

> > > --
> > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> entity
> reader
> > that
> > immediately
> > >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Proposal to switch to pull requests

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Gunther Hagleitner <gh...@hortonworks.com>.
Once Prasad's loop finishes I'd like to add my +1 too.

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Vaibhav Gumashta <vgumashta@hortonworks.com
> wrote:

> +1 for moving to git!
>
> Thanks,
> --Vaibhav
>

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Prasad Mujumdar <prasadm@cloudera.com
> >wrote:
>
> >   while (true) {
> >    +1
> >   }
> >
> >   +1  // another, just in case ;)
> >
> > thanks
> > Prasad
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 6:47 AM, kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com <
> > kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > +1

> > been
> > be

> https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and

> > specific
> > patches?
> easy
> JIRAs
> > > in a
> automatically,
> > it

> > entity
> confidential,
> > reader
> notified
> > > that
> > > immediately
> > > >

> > > --
> > > Swarnim
> > >

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Proposal to switch to pull requests

Posted by Vaibhav Gumashta <vg...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for moving to git!

Thanks,
--Vaibhav

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Proposal to switch to pull requests

Posted by Prasad Mujumdar <pr...@cloudera.com>.
  while (true) {
   +1
  }

Posted by "kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com" <ku...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
Should we start with moving our primary source code repository from
svn to git ? I feel git is more powerful and easy to use (once you go
past the learning curve!).

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM, Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Personally I prefer the Github workflow, but I believe there have been
> some challenges with that since the source for apache projects must be
> stored in apache source control (git or svn).
>
> Relevent: https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and
>
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM, kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com
> <ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Since we have a nice mirrored git repository for hive[1], any specific
>> reason why we can't switch to doing pull requests instead of patches? IMHO
>> pull requests are awesome for peer review plus it is also very easy to keep
>> track of JIRAs with open pull requests instead of looking for JIRAs in a
>> "Patch Available" state. Also since they get updated automatically, it is
>> also very easy to see if a review comment made by a reviewer was addressed
>> properly or not.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/apache/hive