Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/06/10 15:20:33 UTC

[DRAFT] What the new Status info looks like

I've put together a few podling status pages based on where some podlings
are, to demonstrate what it could look like.

Juneau: https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/juneau
AriaTosca: https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/ariatosca
OpenWhisk: https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/openwhisk

These are just a couple of examples.  Some things I still feel are missing:

- List of repositories.  For github it's easy, we can just link to a
search.  Can't say the same for ASF hosted (yet)
- Migration.  Haven't decided what I want to support, but the yaml files
are out there in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/podlings/ if
anyone wants to edit theirs
- Anything missing?
- Do we need public access, or is committer access OK?

Re: [DRAFT] What the new Status info looks like

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> - List of repositories.  For github it's easy, we can just link to a
> search.  Can't say the same for ASF hosted (yet)

Would these help?

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  How does one search github?
https://github.com/orgs/apache/repos doesn't appear to work, despite
what https://developer.github.com/v3/repos/#list-your-repositories
seems to imply.

Re: [DRAFT] What the new Status info looks like

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10 June 2017 at 20:21, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 12:27 PM Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> One more thought is that it would be nice to be able to see when the
>> different committers, mentors and such were added to the project. The date
>> of the last addition would be nice.
>>
>> If this data is pulled from a non-canonical source of user data, it would
>> be good if the page cross-checked against canonical sources like LDAP to
>> verify consistency.
>>

> It's pulling this information from LDAP so I suspect we can get it.

LDAP only provides the creation date and last update date of groups.
It's not currently possibly to find out when an entry was added to a group.
[There are possible plans to add LDAP change tracking. This might
provide the info]

reporter.a.o gets this info by regularly dumping the LDAP groups and
tracking the changes.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 12:24 PM Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are few usability issues.
>
> For the actions on a particular row, the double click is highly
> unconventional. That is evidenced by the fact that you have to tell people
> how to do it. I would suggest having a pull down on each row or use the
> standard sort of select,act style of interface where each row can be
> selected and there are several action buttons at top or bottom.
>
> I also find that the + buttons don't work. Instead of allowing me to add
> something, the inexplicably turn into search boxes. It isn't clear what is
> being searched since the box appears after all the other data. It would
> make more sense if the + were slightly outside the content list and
> clicking it caused a number of text entries to appear that allow me to
> enter required information.

Agreed on both parts.  The roster tool side of this needs a bit of UX.
I've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIMSY-99 for the roster
tool.

> I also find that the podling proposal link look like a content header
> because it is soooo close to the green explanation for how to add things.
> Removing the usage documentation (because it should be superfluous if the
> UI is properly discoverable) would allow this link to make more sense, but
> I would still want a separation from textual content and the list of
> people.

Agreed.  That was my first attempt to put something in, I wasn't sure where
it was going to go, and completely forgot about it until you mentioned it
now.

I'm thinking to add a bit to Podling Status to indicate the start date
(established) and proposal link.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.