Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Amy Roh <am...@apache.org> on 2002/08/16 02:43:58 UTC

Re: Absolute fields required for JDBC & JNDI Realm pages in adminwebapp

John,

Thanks for the feedback.

John Holman wrote:

> Amy
>
> Yes - much too strict for JNDIRealm!

I agree!

> The only configuration attributes
> that should always be specified for this realm are className and
> connectionURL. In addition either userPattern or userSearch must be
> specified (but not both). Other attributes either have default values,
> or not specifying them is itself significant (e.g. if userPassword is
> not specified the realm attempts to bind as the user rather than
> retrieve the user's password). (Note that the realm docs on the website
> are out of date, but the CVS and 4.1.8+  releases have new documentation
> which covers all of this).

I just committed fixes to validate only className and connectionURL and also to
check either userPattern or userSearch is specified but not both.

> In this connection, there is a problem with the admin application, which
> when it writes out a new version of the server.xml file converts all
> attributes that are unspecified by the user (e.g. in the original
> server.xml file) to attributes that are specified and have the empty
> string as their value This breaks JNDIRealm at the moment, and perhaps
> some other components as well (e.g. other realms).

I committed fixes for this problem so that admin webapp doesn't set various
properties if users don't specify them in the page.

> However  I suspect this might be awkward to fix because of the way web
> forms work. If you can confirm that the admin app will continue to
> behave in this way (replacing null values with "" for all configuration
> attributes) then I can send you a patch for JNDIRealm to treat these
> values as equivalent. Configuration code in other components might also
> need to change - e.g. RealmBase decides whether a digest is being used
> by testing the value of the digest attribute against null, and throws an
> exception if it gets the empty string, since this is not null but not
> the name of a known digest algorithm either.

I don't think any change to JNDIRealm is necessary since I changed admin so that
it doesn't replace null values with "" for all configuration attributes
anymore.  Could you see if everything is ok now?  I'll commit the changes to
Tomcat 5 once I make sure it works correctly.

I still need someone to comment on other realms so I can make them more
"user-friendly".

Thanks,
Amy

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@sun.com>.
John Holman wrote:
> Amy Roh wrote:
>
>> I just committed fixes to validate only className and connectionURL
>> and also to
>> check either userPattern or userSearch is specified but not both.
>

> Thanks!
>
>> I don't think any change to JNDIRealm is necessary since I changed
>> admin so that
>> it doesn't replace null values with "" for all configuration attributes
>> anymore.  Could you see if everything is ok now?  I'll commit the
>> changes to
>> Tomcat 5 once I make sure it works correctly.
>

> Sounds good, but I'm afraid I won't be able to do this for about 10 days
> ... off on holiday early tomorrow. I'll check as soon as I get back.
>
> Would it be too late for the changes to go into TC 4.1?

It's in cvs already so it'll be in the next release 4.1.10.

Have a good vacation. :-)

Amy

Posted by John Holman <j....@qmul.ac.uk>.