Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Konrad Billewicz <kb...@infovide.pl> on 2005/10/05 09:20:01 UTC

Portlet communication

Hi,

Is it possible to communicate portlets each other in Struts-based
application under Jetspeed? I would like to make a menu as a portlet. When I
press certain menu item, I would like some portlets to disapear, some to
show up, some to execute other action (in Struts meaning) and so on... Can I
do it using Jetspeed?

This feature is quite important because I have an application made using
Weblogic and I have a task to convert it to work with OS Portal.

Best regards.

RE: Portlet communication

Posted by Doug Bateman <do...@dougbateman.net>.
The fastest, easiest, and often best designed way to convert an existing
application to use portal is to port the application as 1 big portlet.  Take
a look at the PetStore example that comes with JetSpeed.  It's 1 big
portlet.

Yes, I know your immediate reaction is "but I wanted to be able to use
portal's layout technology to break up my application into separate regions
on a screen."  But that requirement is a common trap.  Portlets should for
the most part be independent applications.  If your portlet can't work
without the presence of other portlets on the screen, then it's probably not
a good choice for a portlet.  Yes, interportlet communication is possible
through the use of a the portlet session in JSR 168.  But if you go that
route, you're making your application 10x to 20x times more complicated than
it needs to be.  Inter-portlet communication is the #1 driver of excessive
and unnecessary complexity in applications written in portal.

In a true portal, you have no idea what pages your portlet will be on.  So
you cannot design your portlets with the assuption that they'll be on a page
with other portlets from the same application.  Each portlet should be an
"independent stand alone application."  Now your task is you educate your
users on what exactly is a portal and what exactly is a portlet.

Other users here on the list... Back me up here... Do you feel this is an
appropriate design best practice?

Doug