Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Corey Nolet <cj...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/23 20:30:08 UTC

PySpark API on top of Apache Arrow

Please forgive me if this question has been asked already.

I'm working in Python with Arrow+Plasma+Pandas Dataframes. I'm curious if
anyone knows of any efforts to implement the PySpark API on top of Apache
Arrow directly. In my case, I'm doing data science on a machine with 288
cores and 1TB of ram.

It would make life much easier if I was able to use the flexibility of the
PySpark API (rather than having to be tied to the operations in Pandas). It
seems like an implementation would be fairly straightforward using the
Plasma server and object_ids.

If you have not heard of an effort underway to accomplish this, any reasons
why it would be a bad idea?

Thanks!

Re: PySpark API on top of Apache Arrow

Posted by Jules Damji <dm...@comcast.net>.
Actually, we do mention that Pandas UDF is built upon Apache Arrow.. :-) And point to the blog by their contributors from Two Sigma. :-)

“On the other hand, Pandas UDF built atop Apache Arrow accords high-performance to Python developers, whether you use Pandas UDFs on a single-node machine or distributed cluster.”

Cheers
Jules

Sent from my iPhone
Pardon the dumb thumb typos :)