Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mario Vera <ma...@infomap.com.mx> on 2001/06/27 19:58:48 UTC

several tomcat instances running at the same time

Hi!!

I have a little problem.

I have Tomcat 3.1 installed on SUN 10000, near to 200 users use the
application. This causes that the application becomes very slow (Is a WEB
GIS).

I have just one Tomcat instance running on sun system.I believe that maybe
if turn on another instance next to the current one, the speed could
improve.

Is it correct and possible?

How I can have several instances running at the same time?

Regards.

Aprovechando que hay mucha gente que habla español, va la versión en
español.

Hola

Tengo un pequeño problema.

Tengo instalado Tomcat 3.1 en Sun 10000, 200 usuarios aproximadamente
utilizan la aplicación. Esto provoca que la aplicación sea muy lenta (es un
sistema de información geografica para Internet).

Tengo solamente una instancia de Tomcat corriendo en el sistema. Creo que si
corro otra instancia de Tomcat, la velocidad mejorará.

¿Es correcto y posible esto?

¿Como puedo tener varias instancias de Tomcat corriendo al mismo tiempo.

Gracias!!

PD. como se podran dar cuenta, soy uno mas de la comunidad de habla hispana.

Re: several tomcat instances running at the same time

Posted by Peter Hrastnik <pe...@1012surf.net>.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Mario Vera wrote:

> Hi!!
>
> I have a little problem.
>
> I have Tomcat 3.1 installed on SUN 10000, near to 200 users use the
> application. This causes that the application becomes very slow (Is a WEB
> GIS).
>
> I have just one Tomcat instance running on sun system. I believe that maybe
> if turn on another instance next to the current one, the speed could
> improve.
>
> Is it correct and possible?

It's worth trying it. I think it that 2 instances perform better than one,
especially if you have enough memory. But that's just a guess.

> How I can have several instances running at the same time?

You have to start each instance with an own server.xml file (use the -f
parameter). Example: server1.xml and server2.xml. You have to set the
ports of your connectors also differently for each instance (e.g. ajp12
connector of server 1 to 8007 and of server 2 8009) in their server xml
file. The next thing you have to do (I don't think that you want that
your user connect to 2 different ports) is to set up an apache http
server, wich directs jsp or servlet request to server1 or server2. This is
done using the apache module mod_jk.
This is also described in some of the how-to's. Take a look for further
information here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/index.html

Bye,
	Peter.