Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com> on 2005/08/28 02:09:09 UTC

Apache Directory now integrated

I have integrated the Apache Directory Server into Geronimo.  What that
means is Geronimo now comes with an LDAP server.

It is initially "stopped".  You can start it with the console or via the
command line scripts (deploy.sh for *nix or deploy.bat for Windows):

deploy.sh --user system --password manager start
org/apache/geronimo/Directory

It initially runs on port 1389, not the standard 389 because *nix boxes
will need to run as root to use this port.  The port is configurable in
the DirectoryGBean found in the directory-server-plan.xml.

It has an initial ou=system schema to start with and we can build on a
fairly sophisticated schema in time.

This has some awesome implications for Geronimo in that we can begin
storing all sorts of configurations and system based information in it.
  There is a tremendous amount we can do with this, including leveraging
new security implementations, especially single-signon.

This is the first cut, and I have included a slew of attributes that can
be set on the GBean.  Of course there are more configuration attributes
I can add...so this is only a start.

Let the JIRA issues begin ;-)

Jeff

Re: Apache Directory now integrated

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
Cool!  Nice job.

geirm@apache.org

Re: Fwd: Apache Directory now integrated

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Brett Porter wrote:

>In case anyone didn't know.
>
>- Brett

This is really a great move for Geronimo as Jeff describes I'm glad to
hear this finally has happened.  Thanks for the heads up Brett.

Alex

Re: Apache Directory now integrated

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Wow, this is really great news!!!!

A lot of thanks to Geromino team! :)

Best regards,
Trustin

http://gleamynode.net/

Fwd: Apache Directory now integrated

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
In case anyone didn't know.

- Brett

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> Very nice.  Jeff, where is the database (I'm assuming SystemDatabase) or
> is the persistent store something else?  I'm curious for sysadmins that
> will want to back up their data.

$GERONIMO_HOME/var/ldap/system

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
Not that I am aware of, then again I haven't checked.

Not a bad idea though...

Jeff

Posted by si...@insession.com.