Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu> on 2003/09/24 14:22:37 UTC

Forms + XUL (Was: Re: EJB + Cocoon, "Best Practices")

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

<snip/>

> Yep, I was very impressed by that you showed me. It's also the first
> business application that uses XUL. So the work of your company could
> encourage many people using XUL - in the future XUL is an equivalent
> possibility how to create the UI.

Hrmm... this makes me wonder if there's any sort of cool way that we can
connect something like Woody and XUL for really cool forms.  Imagine a
formerly multi-page form that is sent to the client in one shot, and
appears as a tabbed set of widgets.... hmmm  *gears turning*

Tony

Re: Forms + XUL

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

> Oh my, what a pain! Why don't you _teach_ this class?

Definately possible.  The teacher might not like being out of a job
though %-)

>> What does the HTML that Woody produces looks like?  Will it validate?
>> To what extent?
>

> Validate ? Sure: it's simply a bunch of <div>, <span> with an associated
> CSS and a few lines of JavaScript !

Ahh, ok, my fears laid to rest.. must have faith! :)

<snip/>

> Poor guy, that has to learn PHP when he is a Cocoon committer :-(
> But playing with the Woody samples doesn't take so much time !

It's even worse, I have to learn PHP when I already know it! :)  I think
  if I had known it was going to be a PHP class I would have probably
not even taken it.  Ah well...

> Sylvain

Tony

Re: Forms + XUL

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Tony Collen wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>> You should check out the Woody samples ("Various" and "Flowscript"
>> pages) in the latest CVS : it includes tabbed forms, switching panels
>> with a popup to select the panel, etc. It's based on some high-level
>> grouping tags that automatically produce the needed HTML, CSS and
>> JavaScript stuff.
>

> I must confess; I haven't played with Woody too much, but my "Internet
> Application Development" class which I am taking definitely makes me
> miss being able to Just Use Cocoon :)  I feel so dirty mixing HTML and
> PHP <? ?> code :(

Oh my, what a pain! Why don't you _teach_ this class?

> What does the HTML that Woody produces looks like?  Will it validate?
> To what extent?

Validate ? Sure: it's simply a bunch of <div>, <span> with an associated
CSS and a few lines of JavaScript !

>> I also added yesterday server-side event handling features, and the
>> ability for a widget to trigger form submit. Checkout the carselector
>> sample (updated a few minutes ago) that demonstrates this, and also
>> the number panel in the "Various" page.
>>
>> It certainly doesn't provide the same user experience as Joerg's
>> impressive XUL application but, well... works on any browser ;-)
>>
>> Of course, we could also have stylesheets producing XUL for Woody
>> forms. Any taker ?
>

> This would be a pretty neat demonstration of the flexibility of Woody,
> and Cocoon in general.  The only problem I noticed when researching
> XUL is that all of the form validation is pretty much client-side
> since it's mainly for being run under Mozilla.  There is very little
> functionality in the way of "submitting" a form to a remote server,
> but I did find that there is a Javascript function you can call which
> posts XML to a remote server, so this might just be all we would need
> to hook it into Cocoon.

Posting XML ? There's no need for that: a good old form submit is all
that we need ;-)

> Another thing that needs to be looked into are Woody Forms -> PDF
> Forms.  The newer versions of Acrobat allow the form data to be
> submitted to a remote server as XML.  I think it's called XDF? Maybe
> I'm wrong.

Woody totally abstracts the final rendering of forms, while still making
it very simple. So if we can produce Acrobat forms from an XML document,
it should be possible to render Woody forms as PDF.

Re: Forms + XUL

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.
Tony Collen wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> I also added yesterday server-side event handling features, and the
>> ability for a widget to trigger form submit. Checkout the carselector
>> sample (updated a few minutes ago) that demonstrates this, and also
>> the number panel in the "Various" page.
>>
>> It certainly doesn't provide the same user experience as Joerg's
>> impressive XUL application but, well... works on any browser ;-)
>>
>> Of course, we could also have stylesheets producing XUL for Woody
>> forms. Any taker ?
>

> This would be a pretty neat demonstration of the flexibility of Woody,
> and Cocoon in general.  The only problem I noticed when researching XUL
> is that all of the form validation is pretty much client-side since it's
> mainly for being run under Mozilla.

No need for this. You can handle it like any HTML form. We do it client
side in ConWeb for the sheets because of the massive number of form
fields. The rest of the forms (user profile => "Benutzerprofil" in
German; admin views) are validated server side.

> There is very little functionality
> in the way of "submitting" a form to a remote server, but I did find
> that there is a Javascript function you can call which posts XML to a
> remote server, so this might just be all we would need to hook it into
> Cocoon.

Can't confirm. There is no problem including XHTML into XUL and so a

There is the more or less IE-compatible XMLHttpRequest object. Don't
know whether it's possible to send XML, at least you can receive it and
get it easily parsed. See http://www.mozilla.org/xmlextras/ and the test
pages at http://www.mozilla.org/xmlextras/tests.html. We send the
request as with HTML forms: ?param1=value1&param2=value2.

Joerg

Re: Forms + XUL

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

> You should check out the Woody samples ("Various" and "Flowscript"
> pages) in the latest CVS : it includes tabbed forms, switching panels
> with a popup to select the panel, etc. It's based on some high-level
> grouping tags that automatically produce the needed HTML, CSS and
> JavaScript stuff.

I must confess; I haven't played with Woody too much, but my "Internet Application Development"
class which I am taking definitely makes me miss being able to Just Use Cocoon :)  I feel so dirty
mixing HTML and PHP <? ?> code :(

What does the HTML that Woody produces looks like?  Will it validate?  To what extent?

> I also added yesterday server-side event handling features, and the
> ability for a widget to trigger form submit. Checkout the carselector
> sample (updated a few minutes ago) that demonstrates this, and also the
> number panel in the "Various" page.
>
> It certainly doesn't provide the same user experience as Joerg's
> impressive XUL application but, well... works on any browser ;-)
>
> Of course, we could also have stylesheets producing XUL for Woody forms.
> Any taker ?

This would be a pretty neat demonstration of the flexibility of Woody, and Cocoon in general.  The
only problem I noticed when researching XUL is that all of the form validation is pretty much
client-side since it's mainly for being run under Mozilla.  There is very little functionality in
the way of "submitting" a form to a remote server, but I did find that there is a Javascript
function you can call which posts XML to a remote server, so this might just be all we would need to
hook it into Cocoon.

Another thing that needs to be looked into are Woody Forms -> PDF Forms.  The newer versions of
Acrobat allow the form data to be submitted to a remote server as XML.  I think it's called XDF?
Maybe I'm wrong.  Anyway, too much cool stuff, too little time :)

Regards,

Tony

Re: Forms + XUL (Was: Re: EJB + Cocoon, "Best Practices")

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Tony Collen wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
>> Yep, I was very impressed by that you showed me. It's also the first
>> business application that uses XUL. So the work of your company could
>> encourage many people using XUL - in the future XUL is an equivalent
>> possibility how to create the UI.
>

> Hrmm... this makes me wonder if there's any sort of cool way that we
> can connect something like Woody and XUL for really cool forms.
> Imagine a formerly multi-page form that is sent to the client in one
> shot, and appears as a tabbed set of widgets.... hmmm  *gears turning*

You should check out the Woody samples ("Various" and "Flowscript"
pages) in the latest CVS : it includes tabbed forms, switching panels
with a popup to select the panel, etc. It's based on some high-level
grouping tags that automatically produce the needed HTML, CSS and
JavaScript stuff.

I also added yesterday server-side event handling features, and the
ability for a widget to trigger form submit. Checkout the carselector
sample (updated a few minutes ago) that demonstrates this, and also the
number panel in the "Various" page.

It certainly doesn't provide the same user experience as Joerg's
impressive XUL application but, well... works on any browser ;-)

Of course, we could also have stylesheets producing XUL for Woody forms.
Any taker ?

Enjoy,
Sylvain