Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Sijie Guo <si...@apache.org> on 2019/01/28 20:12:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] Skip tests for documentation related changes

Hi all,

Currently for every documentation change, we have run 3 precommit jobs,
java, c++ and integrationt tests. None of them is actually testing the
documentation change and it is wasting jenkins resources and make the merge
process for documentation changes take much longer time.

So I am proposing :

- add a separate precommit job for documentation-only changes. e.g.
`Jenkins: Documentation Tests`

- provide a checkbox in description
  * [ ] documentation-only change
  * [ ] code-only change

- if `[x] documentation-only` is checked, then java, c++ and integration
tests will be skipped.
- if `[x] code-only` is checked, then documentation tests will be skipped.

I would like to see what other people think about this.

- Sijie

Re: [DISCUSS] Skip tests for documentation related changes

Posted by Ali Ahmed <ah...@gmail.com>.
I support it maybe a tag in the commit Header ie [Documentation] .

--
-Ali

Re: [DISCUSS] Skip tests for documentation related changes

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
I have talked to a few Flink committers. They are using a `flinkbot` for
automating their review process.
It sounds very interesting. It is a process that they might be looking for.

The `flinkbot` code is here -
https://github.com/rmetzger/flink-community-tools
There is a discussion thread in flink mailing list about improving the
flinkbot.

If anyone has time, it might be worth checking out `flinkbot`. It can be a
good weekend project to prototype
a process to help improve pulsar review and ci process :-)

- Sijie

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.