Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> on 2006/02/23 07:49:05 UTC

failures running remote server

Hi,

I did a test run of the remote server in jdk13 and the client in jdk14 jvm,
and for comparison, I ran with remote server and 'local' client in jdk14.
This resulted in 2 failures jdk13/jdk14 only failures, metadata - which is a
test issue (the harness compares with the jdk14 master, but really the
output comes from the jdk13 server) and, more interestingly,
lang/holdCursorJava.java
There were also 2 failures in both runs, checkDataSource30.java and
savepointJdbc30_XA.java.

Here's part of the diff for lang/holdCursorJava.java"
---------------------------
14,18c14,51
< FAIL -- unexpected exception java.sql.SQLException: The exception '
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError' was thrown while evaluating an expression.
SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ': java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'.
< ERROR 38000: The exception 'java.lang.NoSuchMethodError' was thrown while
evaluating an expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ':
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'.
< java.sql.SQLException: The exception 'java.lang.NoSuchMethodError' was
thrown while evaluating an expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ':
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'.
< Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: The exception '
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError' was thrown while evaluating an expression.
SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ': java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'.
<  ... 3 more
---
> checkResultSet before commit
> 11, testtable1-one
> checkResultSet before commit
> 21, testtable2-one
-------------------------

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Here is the tmp of checkDataSource30.java, if anyone has some input?
---------------------------
START XA HOLDABILITY TEST
ERROR (no SQLState): java.security.PrivilegedActionException : Error opening
socket to server localhost on port 1527 with message : Connection refused
Completed checkDataSource30
---------------------------

And this is the tmp for savepointJdbc30_XA.java, does this ring a bell for
anyone?
-------------------------
FAIL -- unexpected exception
SQLSTATE(null):java.sql.SQLException:
java.security.PrivilegedActionException : Error opening socket to server
localhost on port 1527 with message : Connection refused
 at org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.getSQLException(
SqlException.java:285)
 at org.apache.derby.client.ClientPooledConnection.<init>(
ClientPooledConnection.java:104)
 at org.apache.derby.client.ClientXAConnection.<init>(
ClientXAConnection.java:47)
 at org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientXADataSource.getXAConnection(
ClientXADataSource.java:50)
 at org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientXADataSource.getXAConnection(
ClientXADataSource.java:43)
 at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.savepointJdbc30_XA.main
(savepointJdbc30_XA.java:58)
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.DisconnectException:
java.security.PrivilegedActionException : Error opening socket to server
localhost on port 1527 with message : Connection refused
 at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetAgent.<init>(NetAgent.java:113)
 at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.newAgent_(NetConnection.java
:928)
 at org.apache.derby.client.am.Connection.initConnection(Connection.java
:174)
 at org.apache.derby.client.am.Connection.<init>(Connection.java:144)
 at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetConnection.<init>(NetConnection.java:207)
 at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetXAConnection.<init>(NetXAConnection.java
:39)
 at org.apache.derby.client.ClientPooledConnection.<init>(
ClientPooledConnection.java:94)
 ... 4 more
-------------------------

Re: failures running remote server

Posted by Deepa Remesh <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Myrna,

Thanks. Thinking about it, this test cannot run in this combination
(jdk13 server) because it uses a stored procedure which internally
sets the holdability. Since the network server is running with jdk13,
these statements in the stored procedure will not work:

Statement st1 = conn.createStatement(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE ,
					ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY, ResultSet.HOLD_CURSORS_OVER_COMMIT);

Statement st2 = conn.createStatement(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE ,
					ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY, ResultSet.CLOSE_CURSORS_AT_COMMIT);

You should see an exception in derby.log for this.

To make the test work in this combo, I think reflection can be used
for holdability calls in the stored procedure call. Other parts of
test should work, except for:
	if(HAVE_DRIVER_MANAGER_CLASS){
		testHoldability(conn,ResultSet.HOLD_CURSORS_OVER_COMMIT);
		testHoldability(conn,ResultSet.CLOSE_CURSORS_AT_COMMIT);
	}
)

Is this test you are doing a one-time test? If you plan to run it on a
regular basis, I think we should change the test. I guess the first
step is to see if remaining parts of test work in this server/client
jvm combination. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Deepa

Re: failures running remote server

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 2/23/06, Deepa Remesh <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/22/06, Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Here's part of the diff for lang/holdCursorJava.java"
> > ---------------------------
> > 14,18c14,51
> > < FAIL -- unexpected exception java.sql.SQLException: The exception
> > 'java.lang.NoSuchMethodError' was thrown while evaluating an expression.
> > SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ': java.lang.NoSuchMethodError '.
> > < ERROR 38000: The exception 'java.lang.NoSuchMethodError' was thrown
> while
> > evaluating an expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ':
> > java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'.
> > < java.sql.SQLException: The exception ' java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'
> was
> > thrown while evaluating an expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception:
> ':
> > java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'.
> > < Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: The
> > exception 'java.lang.NoSuchMethodError ' was thrown while evaluating an
> > expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ':
> > java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'.
> > <  ... 3 more
> > ---
> > > checkResultSet before commit
> > > 11, testtable1-one
> > > checkResultSet before commit
> > > 21, testtable2-one
> > -------------------------
> >
> > Does this ring a bell for anyone?
>
> As I understand, the test lang/holdCursorJava.java runs with jdk14 and
> higher. I think it should pass with jdk14 client and jdk13 server. Can
> you post some more details of the exception from the tmp file? I am
> not sure if I will be able help but just want to take a quick look.

Here's the stack from the .tmp. The '3 more' are not in the .tmp file.
I appreciate your help...

Thx,
Myrna
-- from holdCursorJava.tmp ----------------------
testStatementsInProcedure()

FAIL -- unexpected exception java.sql.SQLException: The exception '
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError' was thrown while evaluating an expression.
SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ': java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'.
ERROR 38000: The exception 'java.lang.NoSuchMethodError' was thrown while
evaluating an expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ':
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'.
java.sql.SQLException: The exception 'java.lang.NoSuchMethodError' was
thrown while evaluating an expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ':
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'.
 at org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.getSQLException(
SqlException.java:285)
 at org.apache.derby.client.am.CallableStatement.execute(
CallableStatement.java:126)
 at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.lang.holdCursorJava.testStatementsInProcedure
(holdCursorJava.java:361)
 at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.lang.holdCursorJava.testHoldability
(holdCursorJava.java:330)
 at org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.lang.holdCursorJava.main(
holdCursorJava.java:73)
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: The exception '
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError' was thrown while evaluating an expression.
SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: ': java.lang.NoSuchMethodError'.
 at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.completeExecute(Statement.java
:1397)
 at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatementReply.parseEXCSQLSTTreply(
NetStatementReply.java:297)
 at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatementReply.readExecuteCall(
NetStatementReply.java:98)
 at org.apache.derby.client.net.StatementReply.readExecuteCall(
StatementReply.java:74)
 at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatement.readExecuteCall_(
NetStatement.java:174)
 at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.readExecuteCall(Statement.java
:1363)
 at org.apache.derby.client.am.PreparedStatement.flowExecute(
PreparedStatement.java:1703)
 at org.apache.derby.client.am.CallableStatement.executeX(
CallableStatement.java:132)
 at org.apache.derby.client.am.CallableStatement.execute(
CallableStatement.java:117)
 ... 3 more

Re: failures running remote server

Posted by Deepa Remesh <dr...@gmail.com>.