Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com> on 2013/11/06 18:35:31 UTC

Issue running trunk when context reloadable=true

I pulled down the latest code in trunk today, built it and noticed a problem with an application where I had the context's "reloadable" attribute set to "true".  To make sure it wasn't something with my app, I tried replicating the issue with the examples application (I just set reloadable to true in "conf/Catalina/localhost/examples.xml") and I was able to reproduce it.

Here's the exception I'm seeing in catalina.out, which repeats until I shutdown the server.

06-Nov-2013 12:24:01.288 WARNING [ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.backgroundProcess Exception processing loader WebappLoader[/examples] background process
 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
	at org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.getClassLoaderResource(StandardRoot.java:202)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.modified(WebappClassLoader.java:723)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.modified(WebappLoader.java:346)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.backgroundProcess(WebappLoader.java:290)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.backgroundProcess(StandardContext.java:5601)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1358)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1362)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1362)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1336)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

I attached a debugger and looked at the point where the exception is being thrown.

    @Override
    public WebResource getClassLoaderResource(String path) {
        if (path == null || path.length() == 0 || !path.startsWith("/")) {
            throw new IllegalArgumentException();
        }
        return getResource("/WEB-INF/classes" + path, true, true);
    }

It seems that path does not start with "/" thus the IllegalArgumentException.  The debugger lists path as "org/apache/taglibs/standard/lang/jstl/test/beans/PublicInterface2.class".

Is this possibly related to the recent changes listed here?

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/201311.mbox/%3c52783299.5000907@apache.org%3e

Thanks

Dan

Re: Issue running trunk when context reloadable=true

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com>.
On Nov 7, 2013, at 8:37 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 06/11/2013 17:35, Daniel Mikusa wrote:
>> Is this possibly related to the recent changes listed here?
>>
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/201311.mbox/%3c52783299.5000907@apache.org%3e
>
> Guilty as charged.
>
> I've fixed this specific error along with some related issues.
>
> Thanks for the report.

Awesome!  Thanks for the quick fix!

Dan

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.