Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yair Zohar <ya...@ard.huji.ac.il> on 2003/09/15 17:01:17 UTC

A Hebrew Problem

Hello,
I have this hebrew problem:
I'm trying to include a html in a jsp page: <jsp:include
page="relativePath/fileName" flush="true" />
When it comes to a hebrew html the browser displays question marks
instead of hebrew
(no matter what charset do I choose in the browser).
The same html is viewed nicely when I get it directly as a file or when
I copy it to the apache html directory
and view it by apache (charset=Windows-1255).
System: RH9 with tomcat-4.1.18, mod_jk-2.0.43, apache-2.0.44, j2sdk1.4.2
It all works fine on an old server: RH7.1 tomcat-4.0.4 apache-1.3
mysql-connector-java-3.0.7 j2sdk1.4.0_03
Does anyone can give a solution or a direction ?
Thanks,
Yair

Re[2]: A Hebrew Problem

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru>.
Hello Yair!

Sorry about responding with such delay, I only read the list
periodically in large gulps. I'm still very interested.

YZ> My Goal: including a hebrew html inside a jsp page.

YZ> The Problem: hebrew is viewed by browser as question marks (no matter
YZ> charset).

YZ> //moving the html string to a char array.
YZ> <%char [] c =  pageExecuter.readHtml().toCharArray();

YZ>    for (int i=0; i<c.length; i++){%>

YZ> //displaying 'character code' 'character'
YZ>      <%= (int)c[i] %>;&nbsp; <%= c[i] %><br>

YZ> <% } %>

A very correct experiment!

YZ> in that way I can see in the browser each character's code and the
YZ> character itself.

I'm afraid I did not understand your description.
Could you attache the whole page resulting from this experiment?
Or still better the result of

    wget -s -o file.html http://your.page.somewhere/some.jsp

from this page? (I want to see the Content-Type that gets
generated, the codes you get from the (int) conversion and
wether the byte(s) generated by <%= c[i] %> are really question
marks (0x3F) or something else.) Again attaching the result
of wget would be better then any description.

Thanks for interesting food for investigation, Yair! :-)

Anton

Re[2]: A Hebrew Problem

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru>.
Hello Yair!

Re: A Hebrew Problem

Posted by Yair Zohar <ya...@ard.huji.ac.il>.
After some investigation I'll try to refrase and improve my problem

My Goal: including a hebrew html inside a jsp page.

The Problem: hebrew is viewed by browser as question marks (no matter
charset).

Some details from my investigation:

When I request the hebrew html directly (not included in a jsp but as
the request target itself) I see it right (charset=windows-1255).

When writing hebrew (same charset) in the same jsp page (that has the
include action) I see it right (but the included html is still ????).

To be sure it's not the 'include' action (<jsp:include
page="relativePath/fileName" flush="true" />) fault, I replaced it by a
function that returns the included page as a string and ensures it's
read in ascii:

<%= pageExecuter.readHtml() %>

when this didn't help, I wanted to be sure my function is returning the
jsp page an ascii string, I wrote this in the jsp page:

//moving the html string to a char array.
<%char [] c =  pageExecuter.readHtml().toCharArray();

   for (int i=0; i<c.length; i++){%>

//displaying 'character code' 'character'
     <%= (int)c[i] %>;&nbsp; <%= c[i] %><br>

<% } %>

in that way I can see in the browser each character's code and the
character itself.
I've got ascii codes, but near the hebrew ascii codes there were '?'

(I'm aware of the different hebrew ascii sets exists I tried both
224-250 , 128 - 154 )

My conclusion:
Tomcat doesn't send the browser a response with ascii code but with some
other code.

Any Idea ?

Thanks for your efforts.

Re: A Hebrew Problem