Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Supun Nakandala <su...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/07 08:47:41 UTC

Refactoring web based experiment builder

Hi Suresh,

I went through the Web based experiment builder [1]. The main problem that
exists in the web based experiment builder is that it is tightly coupled
with Angular.js. Here the root cause is, to  get the angular MVC design
works, we need to use $http method comes with Angular.js to do the rest
calls and we can't use JS Client API for that.

As Shameera suggested, one thing we can do is to implement the $http
functions in the JS-Client. But since we planning to come up with the
js-client-sdk for the new thrift API, current JS-Client will soon become
obsolete and the effort of modifying the JS-client would be in vain.

What I would like to suggest is that if we can port the web based
experiment builder to a new framework which can support the current
js-client and also the proposed js-client-sdk for the thrift api, that will
be a great value addition to the project.

For that we can use Durandal SPA framework[2] which is nothing but a
composition of popular js libries like knockout.js ,sammy.js, require.js
etc which implements the MVVM architectural pattern. Durandal is not
powerful as Angular but still it is fit for the purpose.

[1] -
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRAVATA/Web-Based+Experiment+Builder

[2] - http://durandaljs.com/

Thank you