Posted to iot@apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2019/07/10 13:31:07 UTC

[PLC4X] We're currently preparing for C++, C# and Python based drivers for PLC communication

Hi all,

so even if the number of subscriptions is still quite limited, I guess it won’t hurt to start posting.
We’re currently working hard on porting PLC4J to other languages. Here we’re not just cross compiling Java to something else or doing something similarly messy.
Were manually defining the APIs in a form that feel natural for developers using the other languages and are doing the heavy lifting of protocol implementation by generating code.

So I know that we do have some projects at Apache that could use PLC communication features and currently can’t use PLC4J (Java version of our PLC4X drivers)
At least I know of Apache NiFi, who would need C++ based drivers for their MiNiFi and probably Apache MyNewt …
Here we’re doing some assumptions, but as we’re not involved in the other project, your feedback would be highly appreciated.

Especially when it comes to MyNewt … we don’t know if basing the C++ drivers on the Boost library will cause problems.

Would be cool, if some people from such projects could raise a hand and perhaps subscribe to the Apache PLC4X mailinglist:
dev@plc4x.apache.org<ma...@plc4x.apache.org> … this way we can build things that you can easily use what we’re building.

Chris