Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jonathan Vanasco <mo...@2xlp.com> on 2006/08/26 00:04:23 UTC

multi-server setup - consolidating configs across machines

i'm using a multi server setup.  right now, its a little assbackwards.

on each machine i've set up

/usr/local/apache-custom/modperl_APPNAME

which contains:
	conf/httpd.conf
	sbin/apachectl
	run/httpd.pid

each machine also has a  different docroot

dev machines
	OSX
	/webserver/sites/APPNAME

	UBUNTU
	/home/www/sites/APPNAME

production machines
	FREEBSD
	/usr/local/www/sites/APPNAME

Because of that, i need to maintain the httpd.conf / apachectl stuff
seperately.
To ease stuff, they mostly just call a httpd.conf include in the
appropriate server-specific place

	ie:
		include /webserver/sites/APPNAME/apache/httpd.conf
		or
		include /usr/local/www/sites/sites/APPNAME/apache/httpd.conf

i'd like to migrate as much of this into my docroot as possible
( docroot is managed via SVN )

I can't think of anything right now, other than maintaining 3
separate apache stubs within svn, and then using symlinks to mount
them onto /usr/local/apachecustom

anyone have a recommendation ?