Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Shahar Solomianik <sh...@tikalknowledge.com> on 2001/01/01 17:33:09 UTC

Where is the log file ?

Hi all.

I tried to use Velocity in the form of VelocityServlet and it worked fine on
Apache JServ installed on NT.
Now I try it on Solaris, running under an integrated JBoss+Tomcat
environment (JBoss is an EJB Server) and strange things happen. I get no
output to my browser, yet I cant find the log file to tell me whats wrong.
I overwritten the defaults for runtime.log in velocity.properties, and am
sure that VelocityServlet gets the right value (I output it to System.err)
value of 'properties' init-param, that points to velocity.properties.
I have also overwritten the defaults for resource.loader.1.resource.path to
point to a different directory than '.' .

Any ideas ?

Re: Where is the log file ?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com>.

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Shahar Solomianik wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I tried to use Velocity in the form of VelocityServlet and it worked fine on
> Apache JServ installed on NT.
> Now I try it on Solaris, running under an integrated JBoss+Tomcat
> environment (JBoss is an EJB Server) and strange things happen. I get no
> output to my browser, yet I cant find the log file to tell me whats wrong.
> I overwritten the defaults for runtime.log in velocity.properties, and am
> sure that VelocityServlet gets the right value (I output it to System.err)
> value of 'properties' init-param, that points to velocity.properties.
> I have also overwritten the defaults for resource.loader.1.resource.path to
> point to a different directory than '.' .
>
> Any ideas ?

Right now, the velocity logging system uses an URL as the location
for the log file. This was causing problem on windows, and I think
this might be a problem for Solaris. At any rate, I'm about to
check in the start of a new LogManager that doesn't use URLs (as
the underlying logging kit in Avalon doesn't require it anymore)
so this I think will fix your problem.

I haven't heard of any problems with the log file appearing
on Windows or Linux? Could there be an URL problem with Solaris.
Anyway a version of Velocity will be checked in soon with a
new logging system and if you're still having problems then
we can certainly help you track down the problem.

jvz.