Posted to general@logging.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/07 07:37:06 UTC

ApacheCon Talk proposal

hello all,

I want to share the proposal I just submitted. I am really open for
changes and improvements, just let me know. It is possible to edit the
proposal afterwards.

Cheers
Christian

World Of Logging

Abstract:

Apache Logging is one of the oldest projects from the Apache software
foundation. It contains log4j, one of the most well-known libraries in
the Java world. But there is more: the success of log4j has inspired
many other developers. In this talk you will learn about the whole
world of Apache logging: what is happening right now and why are the
people so excited about their latest releases?

Detail Abstract:

Apache Logging is one of the oldest projects from the Apache software
foundation. It contains log4j, one of the most well-known libraries in
the Java world. But there is more: the success of log4j has inspired
many other developers. A few of them has brought their work to the
Apache Logging project also. In this talk you will learn about the
whole world of Apache logging.

In this talk we will discuss not only the overall state of the project
and how it managed to return from a near death experience to an active
community. We will also look at many of the subprojects, including the
brand-new log4j 2, log4php, log4net, chainsaw or companions.

In the case of log4j you'll learn that the only answer on the Logging
War can be "peace" (as to every war). We'll look at the new plugin
system and other great things, which comes with it.

But there will be short introductions into log4php and log4net also;
how do they differ from their Java brother? For example, PHP is a
scripting language. How do we ensure quality and, heck, can that work
out?

Some of you might know about Chainsaw - the old, old logfile viewer.
Or not? We will shortly look at how it works and what we can expect
from it in the future with log4j 2.0 arriving.

The whole talk will not be too technical.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de