Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Ben Hyde <bh...@gensym.com> on 1997/09/11 22:20:10 UTC

documentation/1121: Details of using MS Dev Studio too slight.

>Number:         1121
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       Details of using MS Dev Studio too slight.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
It took me quite a while to get it up and running within MS Dev Studio.
It would have helped to have a few things stated explicitly.  One should
create an empty project workspace.  Do "Insert Project into Workspace" for
src/Apache.dsp and src/ApacheCore.dsp.  Build both. That creates Apache.exe,
and ApacheCore.dll, but they are in two different directories, so if you select
as your active project Apache.exe and debug it it will fail unable to find the
dll, and if you select ApacheCore and debug it it will fail since it can't
find the executable.  I change the ApacheCore project settings so that the
link places the dll in the directory with the Apache.exe.  As you add more
projects, from the src/nt/*dsp set you can do the same so that Apache.exe will
find all the DLL more dependably.
  It's entirely possible I'm doing this all wrong so somebody with more mature
and wartorn experiance might want to state where all the bits and piecs ought
to fall, for example where the project file(s!) should reside.
>How-To-Repeat:
Place one nieve NT programmer with VC5 in a room with the downloaded stuff.
>Fix:
Work harder longer, sleepless