Posted to npanday-dev@incubator.apache.org by Artem Fedorenko <ar...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/10 15:11:33 UTC

.NET Framework 64bit and 32bit support

Hi all,

I have a problem with using NPanday with different architetures of the same
version of .NET framework. NPanday's MSBuild plugin is relying on the PATH
environment variable when running msbuild command, so there is no way to
configure which architecture (from c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\ or
c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\) of msbuild should be run. Although
MSBuild plugin can take vendor parameter, npanday-settings.xml does not
allow declaring the same version of the framework. That is there is no
'architecture' tag. By default on 64bit systems settings plugin is
generating npanday-settings.xml file pointing to
c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 version of .Net framework. But using
only 64bit version of msbuild causes a problem when building some WPF
projects. Maybe it is worth to introduce some distinction on vendor level
between 32bit and 64bit versions of the .NET build tools? I have some ideas
but this introduction can cause (if I understand good NPanday's
architecture) a lot of changes, especially to vendor resolving state-machine
algorithms.

Regards,
artem