Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by "Edward J. Apostol" <ed...@edapostol.com> on 2012/08/28 19:09:21 UTC

[OT] Introduction and some quick questions

Hey everyone -

Just introducing myself, having joined the list a little over a week ago. I
developed Flex apps and taught Flex from 2007-2010 or so, and had followed
the future of Flex marginally since it was announced of it being turned over
to the ASF.

I am doing a presentation for the local dev community here in Toronto
tomorrow evening on what's new and / or happening with Apache Flex, and
(when you have a moment) would appreciate your brief thoughts and comments
on it. Seems like a lot of activity here, so I thought I would ask some
salient questions:

1)      Is there an expected date /time frame for the IDE packager to be
released? (Although I will walk through the setup of the current Apache Flex
install, most of the dev  audience will probably want something simpler)

2)      Is there a difference between Apache Flex SDK and the SDK released
with Flash Builder 4.7 Beta
(https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_flashbuilder4-7)
- I assume that since the mailing lists are referring to Flex as 4.8 that it
is further along than what Adobe has just packaged.

3)      I've seen some threads here regarding unit testing - is there going
to be some support or foundation for using Apache Flex with FlexUnit or
other unit testing systems?

4)      What is currently being worked on in terms of feature support that
for example the Flash Player has that Apache Flex has yet to implement?
video for example? Components?

5)      (Last one for now) I'll be using Andrew Tryce's example to showcase
functional Flex 4.8 demos. I also have older demos to illustrate basic
functionality (from Flex 4.5). Are there any other demos that can be used to
illustrate anything unique about the 4.8 build that can be used for
demonstration purposes?

And I am interested of course in becoming involved in the Apache Flex
community as well. Any answers to these questions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Edward J. Apostol

Consultant & Instructor - Web, RIAs and Mobile

Toronto, ON Canada

E: ed@edapostol.com

Twitter: @edwardjapostol

Web: http://about.me/edwardapostol

Re: [OT] Introduction and some quick questions

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> Hi Edward,
>
> Welcome!
>
> > 1)      Is there an expected date /time frame for the IDE packager to be
> > released? (Although I will walk through the setup of the current Apache
> Flex
> > install, most of the dev  audience will probably want something simpler)
>
> Nothing is set in stone, remember, we're all volunteers. Having said
> that, the first release of the Apache Flex Installer and accompanying
> badge is expected within the next week or two. Some minor details have
> to be taken care of before a release can be cut and voted upon.
>
> Thanks for your patience,
>
> EdB

Edward,

I see that your presentation is tomorrow evening.  For the short term, it
would be best to download the latest source from here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/trunk/installer
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/utilities/trunk/common

You can compile it on your machine and run it locally.  It should work fine
for your presentation.  The codebase is pretty much locked and this is what
we will be cutting a release from.

And you could take this opportunity to perhaps walk through how to checkout
code from Apache Flex, set up on your machine, compile it etc.  You could
show the devs how easy it is to get up and running.  Maybe some of them
will get inspired to help out Apache Flex as well.

Just a thought :-)

All the best for your presentation.

Thanks,
Om

Re: [OT] Introduction and some quick questions

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Hi Edward,

Welcome!

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [OT] Introduction and some quick questions

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 8/28/12 1 :09PM, "Edward J. Apostol" <ed...@edapostol.com> wrote:

>Hey everyone -
>

>Just introducing myself, having joined the list a little over a week ago.
>developed Flex apps and taught Flex from 2007-2010 or so, and had followed
>the future of Flex marginally since it was announced of it being turned
>over
>to the ASF.
>

>I am doing a presentation for the local dev community here in Toronto
>tomorrow evening on what's new and / or happening with Apache Flex, and
>(when you have a moment) would appreciate your brief thoughts and comments
>on it. Seems like a lot of activity here, so I thought I would ask some
>salient questions:
>

>1)      Is there an expected date /time frame for the IDE packager to be
>released? (Although I will walk through the setup of the current Apache
>Flex
>install, most of the dev  audience will probably want something simpler)

In the meantime, if you have a FlashBuilder installation, you can use
either
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/sdk/trunk/ide/constructFlex
ForIDE.bat (or .sh) depending on your platform to build a packaged SDK
using an Apache Flex source or binary kit and the other pieces like Flash
Player, AIR, etc from the FlashBuilder installation sdks/4.6.0 directory.

>2)      Is there a difference between Apache Flex SDK and the SDK released
>with Flash Builder 4.7 Beta
>(https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_flashbuilder4-
>7)
>- I assume that since the mailing lists are referring to Flex as 4.8 that
>it
>is further along than what Adobe has just packaged.

I assume yes since I don't think it is going to include Apache Flex.

Carol