Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/09 23:02:45 UTC

CloudMonkey 5.0 (was Re: CloudMonkey's new home)

Hi folks,

Looks like the previous thread failed to capture attention on the dev ML.
I'm going forward with some decisions so as to move fast and as per our
philosophy to ask for forgiveness later than just waste time on too much
process polling now.

Here are some proposals;

- The version model would be to move fast, break things, release early and
release often
- Start with 5.0 version: Since cloudmonkey 4.x is already out there, I'm
proposing we start new cloudmonkey releases from 5.0; This is just to make
sure we don't end up releasing a 1.0 when we already have a 4.x
- Using semver, we don't deviate from major version "5" until we have
backward incompatible changes of configuration, paths, DSL etc.
- We'll use git tags to track (unvoted) releasable or testable candidates.
This is so we can release fast, release often. We can append a -rc for such
releases on git and pypi.
- A tested and voted release could take time and some process; but pypi
channel may not be necessarily used for only official releases, but all and
every release, even the test ones.

Suggestions, flames?

Moving forward, as it seems already, I may not be able to contribute on
weekends.

I may be only able to help with the first release, that too the non-process
oriented parts, perhaps people who already have some idea about the
internals of cloudmonkey like Prasanna or Sebastien can help lead the
component?

Regards.

Re: CloudMonkey 5.0 (was Re: CloudMonkey's new home)

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Chip Childers
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 01:06:37PM +0200, Daan Hoogland wrote:
>> ok, the down side will be that the semantics of the versioning are
>> confusing when cloudstack 5 comes and the version numbers don't match.
>> still a +1 from me though.
>
> I find it confusing as well, but am OK with a stable 5.x line being the
> start of the new repo's release versioning.  Since I know that Rohit is
> focused on other things now, I'm going to pick this up and figure out
> what is needed to get the first independent CloudMonkey release out the
> door.

Thanks Chip for taking the further.

Regards.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.