Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/08 23:11:19 UTC

Renaming Geronimo Config?

Can we rename Geronimo Config?  I think the name is strongly stuck with the app server.  From experience in EJB land, try to repurpose names is usually an uphill battle.

If we wanted to go with the grain, we could call it XBean Config.  Open to other names as well.

If we did call it XBean Config, I’m not sure there’s a need to have the same version as the other xbean components.  We could, but I think 1.0 would still be fine.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Renaming Geronimo Config?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 2:45 AM David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Aug 30, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> >
> > +1 for going forward
> >
> > Note that I also totally understand Davids concerns about the public
> perception about Geronimo and that people still think we talk about the
> G-Server.
> > To mitigate this problem I pushed forward with retiring the GServer part
> and move the Geronimo project to become an umbrella for Enterprise Java
> Components. And of course if the VOTE succeeds, then we will quickly also
> pimp the geronimo.a.o site to reflect the EOL state of GServer.
> >
> > @David, is that fine for you?
>
> I’ll be honest and say I feel a bit steam rolled.  The “is this ok with
> you” sent 5 minutes after the vote already started.  Vote closed sharply at
> 72 hours almost to the minute.  I was home in WI on labor day weekend
> visiting family for the first time in 2 years.

I'm a bit confused.  Which vote are you referring to?  The decision to
retire Geronimo Server did close that weekend, but that feels very straight
forward, were you saying we shouldn't have retired it?

We've never voted on a name for Geronimo Config. If you want, we can run
that vote.  But short of that, I'm not sure there's more we could vote on
for this subject.  I'll also share a bit more of my view point.

- No to XBean, for reasons mentioned in the other thread.
- Yes, we should find a more creative name than Config for the project.
- I lean towards supporting Mark's POV on this more than anything, since
Config is really something he started.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le 8 sept. 2017 08:45, "David Blevins" <da...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Aug 30, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> +1 for going forward
>
> Note that I also totally understand Davids concerns about the public
perception about Geronimo and that people still think we talk about the
G-Server.
> To mitigate this problem I pushed forward with retiring the GServer part
and move the Geronimo project to become an umbrella for Enterprise Java
Components. And of course if the VOTE succeeds, then we will quickly also
pimp the geronimo.a.o site to reflect the EOL state of GServer.

> @David, is that fine for you?

I’ll be honest and say I feel a bit steam rolled.  The “is this ok with
you” sent 5 minutes after the vote already started.  Vote closed sharply at
72 hours almost to the minute.  I was home in WI on labor day weekend
visiting family for the first time in 2 years.

In all my years at Apache I’ve never closed a vote that sharply especially
when I know there are concerns.

It is clear I am the odd man out, however, and do not want to stand in the
way the way of anyone’s fun.

What I ask is the same in return.  I ask you politely to not block attempts
on the TomEE side to create sub-projects.  I think everyone should be
allowed to have the fun they want to have.  Anatole has’t come and tried to
shutdown Geronimo config.  I haven’t attempted to go to OWB and shut down
Meecrowave.  If there are people excited and willing to work on something
on the TomEE side, please don’t try to shut it down and redirect it to
Geronimo.

I’ll contribute to what I can over on this side of the fence and think the
change is positive.  I don’t however agree that other projects shouldn’t
also have similar fun.

This is not what was said but that subprojects should be consistent like
cellar for karaf for instance. If it is just a community thing G is a
consistent solution for asf avoid avoids the errors we did last 4 years. At
least we try to fix them this way for now.

We can rework the communities interactions if it is the issue bit we
shouldnt pollute all projects probably and workarou d asf too much with
this model everywhere IMHO.

-David

Re: Renaming Geronimo Config?

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1 for going forward

Note that I also totally understand Davids concerns about the public perception about Geronimo and that people still think we talk about the G-Server.
To mitigate this problem I pushed forward with retiring the GServer part and move the Geronimo project to become an umbrella for Enterprise Java Components. And of course if the VOTE succeeds, then we will quickly also pimp the geronimo.a.o site to reflect the EOL state of GServer.

@David, is that fine for you?

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.