Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anthony Martin <an...@trams.com> on 2001/10/14 09:53:01 UTC

ISAPI Redirect Trouble (error 401)

I don't know if anyone else had trouble with this, but I finally solved it.

With all of these problems IIS has had with worms and such, it's possible
that this is a new problem after applying all of the hotfixes out there (aka
Battle of the Bulge).

I followed the steps for setting up the jakarta ISAPI redirect to work with
Tomcat 3.2.3 and Win2k/IIS 5.0.  I could see that my isapi.log file was
being written to in the tomcat/logs directory.  And when I tried to pull up
the http://localhost/examples/jsp/index.html test page, I got the following
message in system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1:

#Software: Microsoft Internet Information Services 5.0
#Version: 1.0
#Date: 2001-10-14 06:48:42
#Fields: date time c-ip cs-username s-ip s-port cs-method cs-uri-stem
cs-uri-query sc-status cs(User-Agent)
2001-10-14 06:48:42 localhost - localhost 80 GET
/jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll - 401
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+5.01;+Windows+NT+5.0)

Problem is, error 401 was not listed in troubleshooting.  It turns out that
I had to change the permissions of the virtual directory, named "jakarta" in
my case, to allow anonymous web users to browse.

In other words, make sure that wherever you place the isapi_redirect.dll
file, it's accessible by anonymous web users.

Anthony

"Nuts!"
 - General Anthony McAuliffe's reply to a German demand that he surrender in
the Battle of the Bulge