Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rogério Meneguelli Gatto <ga...@softwaredesign.com.br> on 2001/02/05 16:51:22 UTC

What means HTTP 400?

Hi, guys,

What is a HTTP 400 status/error?  I'm seeing a lot of these in my tomcat.log:

2001-02-05 01:27:17 - Ctx(  ): 400 R( /) null

Rogério Meneguelli Gatto     |  ICQ# 25775025
Analista de Sistemas Pleno   |  +55 19 3254-6518 ext 223
Software Design Informática  |  http://www.softwaredesign.com.br
God is a comic playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh

Re: What means HTTP 400?

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

Rogério Meneguelli Gatto wrote:

> Hi, guys,
>
> What is a HTTP 400 status/error?  I'm seeing a lot of these in my tomcat.log:
>
> 2001-02-05 01:27:17 - Ctx(  ): 400 R( /) null

Look in the Tomcat \webapps\ROOT\docs\api  Javadocs
for the HttpServletResponse class documentation - there
you will find a complete list of the status codes

--
WBB - wbrogden@lanw.com
Java Cert mock exams http://www.lanw.com/java/javacert/

RE: What means HTTP 400?

Posted by shlomi sarfati <sh...@navixo.com>.

Error Message: HTTP/1.1 Error 400 - Bad Request

----

Microsoft Internet Information Services version 5.0

----

SYMPTOMS
When a GET request is submitted to a Web server configured with Custom Error
pages, the Web server sends the following error message to the client
browser:

HTTP/1.1 Error 400 - Bad Request

CAUSE
This behavior is expected when the GET request itself cannot be parsed
because of some kind of packet corruption. If you send a bad request to the
IIS Web server, the Custom Errors functionality is not invoked, which causes
the "HTTP/1.1 Error 400 - Bad Request" error message.

RESOLUTION
If the contents of a GET request are corrupt, then the server is unable to
determine the URL or the host to which the GET request should be sent. IIS
is unable to retrieve the host information from the GET request packet in
order to look up the meta data for the custom error. This is by design.
Errors that result from severely corrupted GET requests are not
customizable.

To more completely determine what may be occurring, obtain a network capture
of the communication packets between the client receiving the error and the
Web server itself. Use the Microsoft Network Monitor utility to capture
network packets for analysis. For additional information, click the article
number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

 Q148942 How to Capture Network Traffic with Network Monitor