Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Adaryl \"Bob\" Wakefield, MBA" <ad...@hotmail.com> on 2015/01/20 05:27:53 UTC

sharding vs what cassandra does

It’s my understanding that the way Cassandra replicates data across nodes is NOT sharding. Can someone provide a better explanation or correct my understanding?
B.

Re: sharding vs what cassandra does

Posted by Nagesh <na...@gmail.com>.
Sharding is a type of database partitioning. The sweet spot of cassandra is
to supporting fast random reads. This is achieved by grouping data based on
a partition key and replicate to different nodes. The querying should be in
such a way to look up data of one partition at a time.

Grouping data based on a partition key is a type of sharding.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Mohammed Guller <mo...@glassbeam.com>
wrote:

>  Partitioning is similar to sharding.
>

> Mohammed

Nageswara Rao.V

*"The LORD reigns"*

RE: sharding vs what cassandra does

Posted by Mohammed Guller <mo...@glassbeam.com>.

Posted by Job Thomas <jo...@suntecgroup.com>.
Hi,

If we think it the perspective of  column family (table), its rows are split into different nodes(Sharding) based on ring concept in Cassandra.

But the core unit of data storage (rows) id not spit across nodes, only copy is maintained in different rows. All column associated to a single row (based on row key) is stored in a single node , but Cassandra
keep its copy (based on our configuration) another nodes for fault tolerance.

Hadoop(HDFS) does data sharding and replication . It split a file into multiple pieces and also copy these pieces into multiple nodes for fault tolerance.

Thanks & Regards

Job M Thomas| Platform & Technology
SunTec Business Solutions Pvt. Ltd