Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk> on 2002/11/16 15:26:59 UTC

Weird Saxon errors

I just switched to using Saxon 6.5.2 with Cocoon 2.1-dev as lots of
people say it is faster than xalan and xsltc.

I get lots of strange errors in my stylesheets, that I cannot work out.
These are stylesheets that are largely trivial, and work fine in Xalan
and XSLTC.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of behaviour?

Example:

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Could not read resource
file:/Users/jermq/Library/TomCat/webapps/cocoon/iniva/parts/components/
meta-data.xml:
file:/Users/jermq/Library/TomCat/webapps/cocoon/iniva/parts/xsl/macro-
filter.xsl:12:-1:javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Invalid
processing instruction name (saxon:warning)

this is line 12, column -1 (sic)

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
	xmlns:saxon="http://icl.com/saxon"
	exclude-result-prefixes="saxon"

	<xsl:param name="idref"/>

	<xsl:template match="doc">
		<xsl:apply-templates select="macro[@id=$idref]/*"/>
	</xsl:template>

   <xsl:template match="@*|node()"
priority="-2"><xsl:copy><xsl:apply-templates
select="@*|node()"/></xsl:copy></xsl:template>
   <xsl:template match="text()" priority="-1"><xsl:value-of
select="."/></xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Where line 12 is:

<xsl:template match="@*|node()"
priority="-2"><xsl:copy><xsl:apply-templates
select="@*|node()"/></xsl:copy></xsl:template>

Do What???
There is nothing wrong with this line according to the other XSLT
engines.
Invalid processing instruction??????

This is my config:

in cocoon.xconf:

   <xslt-processor logger="core.xslt-processor">
      <parameter name="use-store" value="false"/>
      <parameter name="incremental-processing" value="true"/>
   </xslt-processor>

   <component
     role="org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessor/Saxon"
     class="org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl"
     logger="core.xslt-processor">
    <parameter name="use-store" value="true"/>
    <parameter name="incremental-processing" value="false"/>
    <parameter name="transformer-factory"
     value="com.icl.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl"/>
   </component>

in sitemap.xmap:

	<map:transformer logger="sitemap.transformer.saxon" name="saxon"
	   pool-grow="2" pool-max="32" pool-min="8"
        src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer">
	  <use-request-parameters>false</use-request-parameters>
	  <use-browser-capabilities-db>false</use-browser-capabilities-db>
	  <xslt-processor-role>
         org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.XSLTProcessor/Saxon
       </xslt-processor-role>
	</map:transformer>

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

regards Jeremy

Re: Weird Saxon errors

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <da...@saxess.com>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous wrote:
>
>> Your stylesheet produces plain text as output. This seems to be
>> a problem for cocoon transformers. I don't know, if this behaviour
>> is a feature, or a bug. (Maybe the developers can tell us ;-) ?
>

> It's a feature. Plain text is not a valid XML document,
> therefore it wont be properly transported through the
> SAX pipeline to the next component. Not even if the next
> component in the pipeline is a text serializer. I'm not
> sure whether this is Saxon specific (a text serializer
> uses an XSLT processor too), it might work with Xalan.
>
> J.Pietschmann

Indeed i have seen, that it works with xalan.
In fact, because it worked with xalan, i initially
wondered, why saxon complains. But with your explaination
now i wonder, why it works with xalan...

regards, hussayn

Re: Weird Saxon errors

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Re: Weird Saxon errors

Posted by Oskar Casquero <jt...@bi.ehu.es>.
With cocoon-2.0.3 the transformation works correctly (I don't have to change
anything in cocoon). The problem appears with cocoon 2.1-dev, because some
transformation rules are not correctly applied (xsltc processor bug?).
That's why I want to change to saxon. I would like to know which steps you
followed when setting up saxon role (I do what is explained in
http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=DocbookTransformation, but
perhaps there is something else I must do) in order to avoid
'saxon:warning'.

Thank you
Oskar

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Monday, Nov 18, 2002, at 21:22 Europe/London, SAXESS - Hussayn
Dabbous wrote:

> Cause of the saxon:warning:

<snip/>

Hussayn, many thanks for reporting your findings.

regards Jeremy

Re: Weird Saxon errors

Posted by SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <hu...@saxess.com>.
Cause of the saxon:warning:
----------------------------

I found, that saxon issues following warning, when generating
plain text output from within a cocoon pipeline:

"saxon:warning" : "Output suppressed because it is not well-formed"

I also found, that the <xsl:output> tag seems to be ignored from saxon.
Maybe saxon is called in a way, that output processing options are disabled.
And saxon seems definitely to complain about anything else, than valid
XML output.

I know, that this behaviour is not seen with xalan within cocoon, nor with
saxon from command line. But i am completely clueless why saxon does
what it does here.
I can live with my workaround, but agree, it would be much more clever to
find, why saxon behaves such strange ...

installation of saxon
--------------------
i simply put the saxon jar into cocoon/WEB-INF/lib and deleted the xalan.jar
from the same directory. I had to hack saxon according to

http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=DocbookTransformation

Then i had some hard time to get saxon up and running, falling into lots
of little pitfalls, but it works for me now, except that the entity Resolver
does not work for me yet...

I will try to get saxon and xalan both available in my cocoon setup
on my next spare time ;-)

regards, hussayn

Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> On Monday, Nov 18, 2002, at 12:50 Europe/London, SAXESS - Hussayn
> Dabbous wrote:
>
> > Hy;
> >
> > Your stylesheet produces plain text as output. This seems to be
> > a problem for cocoon transformers. I don't know, if this behaviour
> > is a feature, or a bug. (Maybe the developers can tell us ;-) ?
> > But here is the solution as it works on my site:
>
> Did you manage to work out what is causing the 'saxon:warning's ??
>
> regards Jeremy

Dr. Hussayn Dabbous
SAXESS Software Design GmbH
Neuenhöfer Allee 125

[...]