Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org> on 2004/03/11 15:51:40 UTC

svn st -u: Can't read directory ''

Hi,

I've just got a strange error with "svn st -u". The second execution
terminated correctly:

greux:~/oldtests> svn st -u
tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
svn: Can't read directory '': Partial results are valid but processing is incomplete
zsh: exit 1     svn st -u
greux:~/oldtests[1]> svn st -u
tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
Status against revision:   2723
greux:~/oldtests>

I suppose that this is a bug. FYI:

greux:~/oldtests> svn --version
svn, version 1.0.0 (dev build)
   compiled Mar  9 2004, 20:37:33
[...]

(Debian package 1.0.0-2) and on the server side:

ay:~> svn --version
svn, version 1.0.0
   compiled Feb 23 2004, 20:25:06
[...]

(Debian package 1.0.0-1). The repository is accessed by svn+ssh.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vi...@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International

Re: svn st -u: Can't read directory ''

Posted by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org>.
On 2004-03-15 10:04:28 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> [...]
> > It's an error code returned by apr_dir_read.  Taking another look at
> > the code, I think I see how this could occur: if your APR is compiled
> > without DIRENT_TYPE then an apr_dir_read call will involve both a
> > readir and a stat and if the stat fails apr_dir_read will return
> > APR_INCOMPLETE.  Why would the stat fail on one single occasion?  One
> > explanation would be if another process deleted a file/directory while
> > the "svn st" was running, some sort of temporary file perhaps?
>
> Not on the server side (unless svnserve did it). On the client side
> (greux), it is possible that a file from the oldtests directory was
> deleted, because I had computation processes working in oldtests at
> this time; but such a file wasn't controlled by Subversion and its
> name matched one of the svn:ignore patterns (does svn handle this
> case?). Also, oldtests is a symlink to a directory in my NFS-mounted
> home directory.

Same problem, but with "svn up":

greux:~/oldtests> svn up
tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
svn: Can't read directory '': Partial results are valid but processing is incomplete
zsh: exit 1     svn up

Even with "svn st" (no repository access):

greux:~/oldtests> svn st
svn: Can't read directory '': Partial results are valid but processing is incomplete
zsh: exit 1     svn st

I've still computation processes, which create and delete files.
Could this be the problem?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vi...@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>
100% validated (X)HTML - Acorn / RISC OS / ARM, free software, YP17,

Re: svn st -u: Can't read directory ''

Posted by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org>.
On 2004-03-15 01:54:56 +0000, Philip Martin wrote:
> [...]
[...]

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org>.
On 2004-03-13 02:31:24 +0000, Philip Martin wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org> writes:
> > greux:~/oldtests> svn st -u
> > tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
>
> Why the tput: error?

I have a test on `tput colors` in my ".zshenv". Nothing related to
Subversion.

> > svn: Can't read directory '': Partial results are valid but
> > processing is incomplete
>
> That's an APR_INCOMPLETE, but I don't why you would get it.

What does this mean?

> I've never seen it reported before, can you reproduce it?

No.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.