Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com> on 2006/11/13 15:30:44 UTC

[SDO] Hello & rfc for what could be useful

Hi All,

I would like to help out on the Tuscany SDO effort, so though I'd pop out a
quick note to see what's what.

There are a couple of things that might be desirable to the community,  so
I'd appreciate your comments on what's needed:

   - Interop / TCK for SDO - make sure one SDO behaves the same as
   another (useful for testing the -noEMF flag)
   - Eclipse plug-ins for SDO - make it easier to generate / use SDOs in
   an IDE environment
   - SDO DAS generation - generate DAS config/classes for SDOs (similar
   to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-898 but possible to
   use without SCA also, unless I'm reading this jira wrong)

I have already written some of the eclipse plug-ins (see attached pngs).
There are a couple minor changes needed (adding the jars using the plug-in
registry, rather than classpath vars) & I need to work out how to get Maven
to build it - but other than that they work and I'd be happy to contribute
them, assuming they would be of use...

Thanks in advance for your comments
Dan Murphy

Re: [SDO] Hello & rfc for what could be useful

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,
   Welcome to Tuscany!  Working on the test compliance kit (TCK -- at least
that's what I've always assumed the acronym to mean) for Java would be a
real help.  In particular there's some work going on exploring integration
of tests from RogueWave into Tuscany under JIRA 829 (
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-829) that we could really do
with some help with.

Best Regards, Kelvin.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/13/06, Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> The C++ interop test service I added is at
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/cpp/sca/test/ws.service.interop/
>
> This can be run on Linux via "make check" (after it's been built) or
> on Windows via the ws.service.interop.client/runclient.bat file - this
> uses the 50-odd SDO interop schemas copied from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/interop/ and exposes
> each one as a web service operation, implemented by a C++ class. Each
> class method takes a DataObject, compares it with one loaded from some
> XML on the file system and returns it back to the client (where it is
> also compared with the original from the file system).
>
> See the following thread for more info:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg08385.html
>
> Hope that's useful - I'm happy to help improve/expand on this
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> On 11/13/06, Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Simon,
> > Interop testing with PHP, C++, etc was certainly one of the things I was
> > thinking of...
> > The way I see it is that the tests could be run in a number of different
> > modes:
> >
> > serialiseSDOs - serialise SDO object to file system so they could be
> loaded
> > by different impl
> > deserialiseSDOs - load SDO objects from serialised
> > useDynamicSDOs - programatically generate SDO using APIs
> > useGeneratedSDOs - generate SDOs from schema and use the generated ones
> > run tests
> >
> > I see serialise/deserialise option used to test interop between
> different
> > implementations of SDO - esp interop between implimentation languages.
> The
> > useGeneratedSDOs only makes sense with Java implementations (as I
> understand
> > it Java is the only one to generate simple objects to represent SDOs).
> >
> > All the tests would need to cover the features descriped in the spec (or
> > agreed subset), for the serialise/deserialise tests to work there would
> need
> > to be shared SDO descriptions used - eg. C++ serialises a "customer" and
> > Java deserialises it and checks the SDO is as expected).
> >
> > I'd be happy to work on the Java side, my C++ is rather poor so together
> > think we could make some progress together - if the interop is needed...
> as
> > you say, would be a poor show if (complex) C++ serialised SDOs couldn't
> be
> > read by the Java impl...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dan

> Dan

Sounds like we are singing from the same hymn sheet as they say. We have
concentrated on the serialize/deserialize SDOs for the cross language
interop work we have done to date. This is the natural mode of operation
when passing an SDO, i.e. it is serialized at one end and deserialised at
the other. From Andy's descripition you can see how SDOs are bounced back
and forth and compared with one another. What we need is a Java version of
the same service so we can have java play opposite itself and C++ as both
client and server.

We should look at dynamic SDOs too (for the sample schemas?) but we haven't
got round to that yet.

We tried to summarize the various tests that need running in the
README.txtassoicated with the interop test cases (
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/interop/src/main/resources/README.txt).
This could well do with a bit of review and updating now. Might be a good
place to start.

Regards

Simon

Re: [SDO] Hello & rfc for what could be useful

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/13/06, Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to help out on the Tuscany SDO effort, so though I'd pop out
> a quick note to see what's what.
>
> There are a couple of things that might be desirable to the community,  so
> I'd appreciate your comments on what's needed:
>
>    - Interop / TCK for SDO - make sure one SDO behaves the same as
>    another (useful for testing the -noEMF flag)
>    - Eclipse plug-ins for SDO - make it easier to generate / use SDOs
>    in an IDE environment
>    - SDO DAS generation - generate DAS config/classes for SDOs (similar
>    to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-898 but possible to
>    use without SCA also, unless I'm reading this jira wrong)
>

> I have already written some of the eclipse plug-ins (see attached pngs).
> There are a couple minor changes needed (adding the jars using the plug-in
> registry, rather than classpath vars) & I need to work out how to get Maven
> to build it - but other than that they work and I'd be happy to contribute
> them, assuming they would be of use...
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments
> Dan Murphy

> Hi Dan

On the subject of Interop. A while back now we created some interop test
schemas (see https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/interop/)
that are intended to represent the XML/SDO mappings described in the current
SDO specification. Currently these tend to get used in the individual
implementations to test SDO against itself, i.e read in the XML and write it
out again and compare the input and output files. This is certainly the case
for PHP. Andy put some work in to build some remote tests for C++ so that we
could test SDO using messages built from each of these schema being passed
in/out of the web services binding. We did this originally for Java M1 but
it didn't work! There were a number of JIRAs postes realting to this on both
java and C++ sides. We started thinking about fixing it up but then M2
happened and for a long time the WS binding was inoperable. We haven't got
back to it since. It would be great to push this work forward and
demonstrate C++/Java/PHP SDO interoperability. I have meant to get back to
this for a while now so if you are interested on this I can help.

Regards

Simon

Re: [SDO] Hello & rfc for what could be useful

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,