Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Parag Marathe <mp...@mahindrabt.com> on 2004/01/22 06:36:05 UTC

How to Implement Roles

Experts,

I have a typical problem implementing roles.

I have roles like Super User, Accounts User , General user. With Super User
having access to all, Accounts and General User are restricted.

Same JSP will be displayed to all users. But each will see different set of
functions on it.

e.g.
on homepage.jsp
Accounts user will see Update , View options
General User will See View Accounts options.
SuperUser will See All of above and Create options

What will be the best way to implement this in JSP, and how to map actions?

All your commnets are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Parag

Disclaimer

is strictly prohibited.

RE: How to Implement Roles

Posted by David Friedman <hu...@ix.netcom.com>.
I have a similar problem and, at the moment, no real solution.  I'd prefer
to be able to change the 'role' so I could push/pop id's as a management
account drills down to a user account (to fix user problems), but I have no
clue how to do this as Tomcat seems to have only read-only roles.

My levels (most powerful to most restricted) would be:
5. Super user
4. Reseller
3. Client
2. Client's customer (a company)
1. User under client's customer (employee for a company)

Thanks for any help on this slightly different issue,
David