Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2008/02/20 06:21:42 UTC

Merging rev 628990 to the 1.7.x branch

Hi all (especially Kev 8-)

Is it OK if I merge
<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=628990> into the 1.7.x
branch before we release 1.7.1 (maybe even before Kev creates the RC
build, but I'd like to have his opinion here first).

Currently Cactus users are forced to stick with 1.6.5 since we broke
their Ant task and this patch repairs the damage.  I'd love to give
them a better option (in particular one allowing them to use JUnit 4)
earlier than Ant 1.8.0.

Stefan

Re: Merging rev 628990 to the 1.7.x branch

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

>  > I've got the code copied across - though the merge tool didn't so I
>  > had to do it manually.  I don't suppose this matters but I'd like to
>  > know why svn merge did nowt
>
>  Looking at your commit, you merged a bit more than just my patch from
>  trunk.  My guess is that my patch affected some of the changed lines
>  (different Javadocs, for example) and couldn't be merged automatically
>  because that other change wasn't present in the branch's version.
>
>  We'll also need to modify the WHATSNEW file (I forgot that) and might
>  want to add some @since tags.  I'll do it in parallel on both
>  branches, hope you don't mind.

No problem, thanks for checking it

Kev

Re: Merging rev 628990 to the 1.7.x branch

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Petar Tahchiev <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevin,

I think that this plan is very good, but actually I am also in the same boat
:-) (never done a release).
We approaching a release of Cactus and I hope that I will have
the chance to make it. ;-).

Regards, Petar.

2008/2/20, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> > I will cooperate to you in 100% and will test the RC. I still have a
> > question.
> > When is the RC planned to be released? And also, when is the next
> release
> > of Ant 1.7.1 planned to be released?
>
> At the moment I need to retest with the latest patch merged back into
> the 1.7.1 branch
>
> So a rough timeline:
> - tonight/tomorrow merge the fix into 1.7.1 and run the test cycle on
> linux + jdk5&jdk6 and winxp +jdk4 & jdk5 & jdk6
> - wait until other people have time to retest the branch (2 days)
> - call for beta vote
> - upload beta to people.apache.org (unsigned use at own risk version)
> - X weeks of waiting in case major regression (where I hope X is 2!)
> - call for release vote
> - (need to coral someone to sign the release)
> - release
>
> If anyone thinks this plan is good/bad/too short/too long etc please say
> so :)
> NB. As it's the first time I'm releasing there's a good chance that
> this timeline will deviate
>
> Kev

Regards, Petar!
Karlovo, Bulgaria.

EOOXML Objections
http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/EOOXML_objections

Public PGP Key at:
https://keyserver1.pgp.com/vkd/DownloadKey.event?keyid=0x19658550C3110611
Key Fingerprint: A369 A7EE 61BC 93A3 CDFF  55A5 1965 8550 C311 0611

Re: Merging rev 628990 to the 1.7.x branch

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Petar Tahchiev <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

I will cooperate to you in 100% and will test the RC. I still have a
question.
When is the RC planned to be released? And also, when is the next release
of Ant 1.7.1 planned to be released?

Thanks.

P.S. Felipe Leme is also part of "the Cactus people" :-), even though not
active lately.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

> Is it OK if I merge
> <http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=628990> into the 1.7.x
> branch before we release 1.7.1 (maybe even before Kev creates the RC
> build, but I'd like to have his opinion here first).

I've been following the discussion and was waiting until a patch/fix
was ready before I was going to jump in.

I don't have a problem with merging a fix providing:

a: All tests pass on full build/test cycle (ok there's that strange
XMLCatalogTest failure - so ignore that one)
b: The cactus people (devs & if possible users) commit to test the RC! :)

(basically I'm going to use this as a blackmail opportunity to get
extra testing of the 1.7.1 branch [evil snigger])

> Currently Cactus users are forced to stick with 1.6.5 since we broke
> their Ant task and this patch repairs the damage.  I'd love to give
> them a better option (in particular one allowing them to use JUnit 4)
> earlier than Ant 1.8.0.

Agreed and joking aside +1 from me I'll run through the test cycle on
my various jdks/platforms today (hopefully)

I *really* want to build a beta within this week (do I need a vote on a beta?)

Thanks,
Kev

Re: Merging rev 628990 to the 1.7.x branch

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi all (especially Kev 8-)
>
> Is it OK if I merge
> <http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=628990> into the 1.7.x
> branch before we release 1.7.1 (maybe even before Kev creates the RC
> build, but I'd like to have his opinion here first).
>
> Currently Cactus users are forced to stick with 1.6.5 since we broke
> their Ant task and this patch repairs the damage.  I'd love to give
> them a better option (in particular one allowing them to use JUnit 4)
> earlier than Ant 1.8.0.

I'm in favour of this, and a big fan of cactus (and of technologies like
hibernate that you can test outside of an app server). It is, however,
up to kevin...

I am always getting in trouble for adding things to releases at the last
minute; its why we run a two week release cycle. It makes it easier to
put off any last minute fix, and it makes it easier to correct any I added.