Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> on 2021/10/23 19:22:01 UTC

Upcoming Maven 3.8.4

Folks,

all important tickets for Maven 3.8.4 have been addressed in maven-3.8.x
branch.

We have two open PRs:
* #578: Alternative to the ThreadLocal approach
* #476: As far as I understand a more global approach to the issue and
supersedes #576, but requires Java 8. So Maven 3.9+

Given that we had two releases with regressions I tend *not* to merge
#578. Give it more time and thought. Maybe go over to #476 directly in
3.9.0 and 4.0.0.

Please test and let me know whether you still see errors. If I don't
read any objections I will start the new release somewhere around mid
next week.

Michael

Re: Upcoming Maven 3.8.4

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
We're in an awkward situation.
It looks like that of all the 3.8.x releases, the first (3.8.1) is the
most stable one.
The subtitle of Maven 3.8.2 was "Fixes and non-invasive backports from
Maven 4.0.0-alpha-1."
Looking back it looks like the backports weren't that non-invasive, and
we have unintended regressions on both 3.8.2 and 3.8.3 compared to 3.6.3
As you might know we do our (plugin) tests with every latest
3.x-release, because most assume that should be the most stable one.
Hence we need to have a 3.8.4 with either fixes or reverts before
thinking of any other release.

thanks,
Robert

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Upcoming Maven 3.8.4

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Very strange release process for common components ... some of the
artifacts are published to the Central Repository and some of them are
published by svn repository ...
I don't see benefit for customizing maven core for one of case of usage

but it is discussion for another place, here I only point it

sob., 23 paź 2021 o 22:51 Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> HI All:
>
> I discovered a regression this morning that prevents me from creating
> a release candidate for Apache Commons CLI:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7316
> https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/601
>
> May this be included for 3.8.4 please?
>
> Gary
>
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 3:48 PM Falko Modler <f....@gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Given that we had two releases with regressions I tend *not* to merge
> > > #578. Give it more time and thought.
> >
> > As written before on GH, not merging #578 or a backport of #476 will
> > bring back MNG-6843.
> > This will catch users off guard that were happily benefitting from
> > MNG-6843 being fixed in 3.8.2 and 3.8.3.
> >
> > If you still want to do it this way, then please at least document that
> > MNG-6843 is back under "Known Issues" in 3.8.4 "Release Notes".
> > Additionally, MNG-6843 should be reopened.
> >
> > I'd really prefer if we could keep MNG-6843 fixed, by whichever PR
> > (doesn't need to be mine).
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Falko
> >
> > Am 23.10.2021 um 21:22 schrieb Michael Osipov:
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > all important tickets for Maven 3.8.4 have been addressed in
> > > maven-3.8.x branch.
> > >
> > > We have two open PRs:
> > > * #578: Alternative to the ThreadLocal approach
> > > * #476: As far as I understand a more global approach to the issue and
> > > supersedes #576, but requires Java 8. So Maven 3.9+
> > >
> > > Given that we had two releases with regressions I tend *not* to merge
> > > #578. Give it more time and thought. Maybe go over to #476 directly in
> > > 3.9.0 and 4.0.0.
> > >
> > > Please test and let me know whether you still see errors. If I don't
> > > read any objections I will start the new release somewhere around mid
> > > next week.
> > >
> > > Michael

Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: Upcoming Maven 3.8.4

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
HI All:

Re: Upcoming Maven 3.8.4

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2021-10-23 um 21:48 schrieb Falko Modler:
> Hi,
>
>> Given that we had two releases with regressions I tend *not* to merge
>> #578. Give it more time and thought.
>
> As written before on GH, not merging #578 or a backport of #476 will
> bring back MNG-6843.
> This will catch users off guard that were happily benefitting from
> MNG-6843 being fixed in 3.8.2 and 3.8.3.

I understand that, I will to test your change and Guillaume's as well.
As far as I understand your change shall apply to 3.8.x only and
Guillaume's from 3.9.0.

> If you still want to do it this way, then please at least document that
> MNG-6843 is back under "Known Issues" in 3.8.4 "Release Notes".
> Additionally, MNG-6843 should be reopened.

The changelog will contains the explicit revert ticket referencing
MNG-6843. We generally don't reopen tickets after a release because this
rewrites history and causes confusion. I would expect a subsequent
ticket for this.

Re: Upcoming Maven 3.8.4

Posted by Falko Modler <f....@gmx.net>.
Hi,