Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/14 17:12:36 UTC

Re: How can I depoly a fat client into a machine?

Looks like we never got this answered...

On Jun 28, 2008, at 12:12 AM, Kenson MAN wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm a beginner of JEE application and Geronimo.
>
> My environment:
> Server (Geronimo 2.1.1) 192.168.0.100
> Client[1..10] 192.168.0.101~192.168.0.1
> The application is packaged in a EAR (including all EJB, client
> application
> and required library)
>
> I'm going to develop a application (EJB3 + Swing) and running under
> Geronimo
> 2.1.1. The application is running successfully in my testing
> environment
> (Eclipse 3.2). But I don't know how to deploy the client into the
> production
> machine (not the server).
>
> I have take a look of the
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/deploy-and-run-jee-application-client.html
> and it told me that I can use the "java -jar client.jar
> <ear-name>/<jar-name>" to startup my client console.
>
> My question are:
> - How does it work? Just copy the client.jar (from server) to each
> client
> and create the batch file that invoke client.jar??

FYI, there are already script files for starting an appclient. The doc
should refer to these, rather than launching java directly...

client.sh/.bat
or
gsh geronimo/start-client

Another option is to use a standalone client, rather than an
application client. This would reduce the number of jars that you'd
need.

WRT the required jars for an app client, afraid it's not so simple.

First, the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF in client.jar is going to add a number
of lib/ jars to your CLASSPATH. Then there'll be a number of artifacts
from repository/ and var/ that will be needed also.

What you really want is the ability to generate an app client plugin,
which could be used to generate an app client assembly. It would
certainly help your situation... At the moment probably easiest to
have a full server install.

> - How to specified the host? If I running the batch file in
> 192.168.0.101,
> how does it know that it will connect to 192.168.0.100?

We have a wiki page for this, I think. Somebody have a pointer?

> - Is that support the JNLP? That will be great if the application can
> startup from a URL.

Don't think so. I haven't looked at JNLP. Would be an interesting
topic for somebody to investigate.

--kevan