Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2016/05/18 22:40:29 UTC

Patch management in Bigtop

Hi!

so there's https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-2427
which requires a patch to jsvc. Being a bunch nice OS citizens
as we are that patch got submitted too:
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-347

As you can see, the BIGTOP JIRA doesn't actually have a patch
attached to it which got me thinking. Should it? IOW, shouldn't there
be a mechanism to grab patches from URLs so we don't have
to keep a copy of them in the Bigtop tree?

Or am I making it way more complicated than it should be?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Patch management in Bigtop

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 03:40PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> so there's https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-2427
>> which requires a patch to jsvc. Being a bunch nice OS citizens
>> as we are that patch got submitted too:
>>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-347
>>
>> As you can see, the BIGTOP JIRA doesn't actually have a patch
>> attached to it which got me thinking. Should it? IOW, shouldn't there
>> be a mechanism to grab patches from URLs so we don't have
>> to keep a copy of them in the Bigtop tree?
>>
>> Or am I making it way more complicated than it should be?
>
> I think you're. JIRA ain't a version control system really. Patches got
> removed, or new and better one got published. Making a minimally reliable
> system to pull the patches from JIRA in build time seems like an
> over-engineering of a hipster type. No offense ;)

I think you're right. Lets just do a simple patch approach for now.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 03:40PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> so there's https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-2427
> which requires a patch to jsvc. Being a bunch nice OS citizens
> as we are that patch got submitted too:
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-347
>
> As you can see, the BIGTOP JIRA doesn't actually have a patch
> attached to it which got me thinking. Should it? IOW, shouldn't there
> be a mechanism to grab patches from URLs so we don't have
> to keep a copy of them in the Bigtop tree?
>
> Or am I making it way more complicated than it should be?

I think you're. JIRA ain't a version control system really. Patches got
removed, or new and better one got published. Making a minimally reliable
system to pull the patches from JIRA in build time seems like an
over-engineering of a hipster type. No offense ;)

Cos

Re: Patch management in Bigtop

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Ganesh, didn't you mean to attach this patch?
    https://git.linaro.org/people/steve.capper/odpi-bigtop.git/commitdiff/05cb67c8b3ac85ed3648bf1989101229ae7e6304

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Ganesh Raju <ga...@linaro.org>.