Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2021/10/19 11:38:03 UTC

[CLI] release soon

Hi All,

I intend to create a release candidate for CLI 1.5 soon. This will be the
last Java 7 release IMO and I plan on this being a simple kinde of release,
no big new feature. Feel free to look at Jira.

Beyond that, the snapshot POM can go to Java 8.

I am not sure if CLI has a future without a ton of work considering the
feature gap with other FOSS projects like JCommander and Picocli.

Gary

Gary

Re: [CLI] release soon

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Keeping components on EOL Java versions like 7 is a hassle in general.
Building can be harder. It also makes components a lot less attractive to
new contribute.

Gary

Re: [CLI] release soon

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: [CLI] release soon

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Le mar. 19 oct. 2021 à 13:52, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Take a look at JCommander and Picocli.

From a user's POV, "picocli" is more "light-weight" (a simple command-line
setup is a two-liner) than "Commons CLI".
Or do you mean memory foot-print? Or something else?
Our more recent demo applications (see e.g. [RNG]) do not use [CLI].

Gilles

Re: [CLI] release soon

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [CLI] release soon