Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alex Leverington <ad...@networkessence.net> on 2002/02/15 05:51:00 UTC

htaccess working but appears to not recognize AuthUserFile

I just upgraded (fresh recompile/install) to apache 1.3.23.  I was using
1.3.2.  This shouldn't change anything, but previously, I could
utilize .htaccess/.htpassword access control files.  I am now unable to do so.
The symptoms are quite peculiar.  When accessing the directory which is secured
by .htaccess, I am prompted for a user/pass.  But, enetering a valid user/pass
does not work.  System is a cobalt raq4.  Worth noting: apache was compiled
with all modules staticly.

Here is the .htaccess contents:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Networkessence"
AuthUserFile "/home/sites/www.networkessence.net/web/protected/.htpasswd"
Require valid-user

There are no symbolic links for any of the directories in the path.
I created .htpasswd using: htpasswd -c ./.htpasswd user

I have tried using plain text, md5, and regular encryption (default - crypt)
and neither have worked.

Here is from access log and error log when I try and authenticate using the
username test and the password test (previously created w/htpasswd):

access_log:
12.237.56.109 - test [14/Feb/2002:22:38:23 -0600] "GET /protected/ HTTP/1.1"
401 488

error_log:
[Thu Feb 14 22:38:23 2002] [error] (2)No such file or directory: access
to /protected/ failed for 12.237.56.109, reason: Authentication failure

Here are relavent entries in httpd.conf:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride AuthConfig Indexes Limit
</Directory>

<Directory /home/sites/>
AllowOverride AuthConfig Indexes Limit
Options FollowSymLinks Includes MultiViews ExecCGI
<Files ".ht*">
deny from all
</Files>
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory /home/sites/*/>
Options +FollowSymLinks +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch +Includes
</Directory>

More information:
[root bin]# ./httpd -V
Server version: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)
Server built:   Feb  9 2002 03:31:24
Server's Module Magic Number: 19990320:11
Server compiled with....
 -D EAPI
 -D EAPI_MM
 -D EAPI_MM_CORE_PATH="logs/httpd.mm"
 -D HAVE_MMAP
 -D HAVE_SHMGET
 -D USE_SHMGET_SCOREBOARD
 -D USE_MMAP_FILES
 -D HAVE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HAVE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/services/apache"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/local/services/apache/bin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/httpd.scoreboard"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/httpd.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_XFERLOG="logs/access_log"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
 -D ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE="conf/access.conf"
 -D RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE="conf/srm.conf"

[root bin]# ./httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_rewrite.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_unique_id.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_setenvif.c
  mod_ssl.c
  mod_php4.c
  mod_perl.c
  mod_auth_pam.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/local/services/apache/bin/suexec

[root bin]# uname -a
Linux ns.networkessence.net 2.2.16C28_III #1 Mon Jul 30 22:07:58 PDT 2001 i586
unknown

RE: htaccess working but appears to not recognize AuthUserFile

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Alex Leverington [mailto:admin@networkessence.net]

> I've tried with no quotes.  I added the quotes after looking at
> another post in
> the mailing list in which qoutes were present.

Right.  The quotes don't matter.

Looking back at your original question, I notice that you have mod_auth_pam
compiled into the server.  Try getting rid of that.

Joshua.

Re: htaccess working but appears to not recognize AuthUserFile

Posted by Alex Leverington <ad...@networkessence.net>.
I've tried with no quotes.  I added the quotes after looking at another post in
the mailing list in which qoutes were present.

-Alex

Posted by "Kevin M. Shortt" <sh...@cgicafe.com>.