Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by gr...@cox.net on 2005/01/19 15:44:58 UTC

Forrest crashes without an xdoc/index.xml file

Forrest (Head, revision 125624) seems to assume there's an index.xml file in the xdoc root directory.  Without this file, Forrest throws a nasty exception shown below; however, the site seems to render correctly.  To reproduce this error, seed a fresh project, rename index.xml, and then update site.xml & tab.xml accordingly.

An easy workaround is to include a dummy index.xml file, which stops the exception.  But, I’m not sure if there’s some undiscovered side-effect.  Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

-- Greg

org.apache.cocoon.CascadingIOException: SourceException: org.apache.excalibur.source.SourceException: Exception during processing of cocoon://index.html: org.apache.excalibur.source.SourceException: Exception during processing of cocoon://index.html
        at org.apache.cocoon.environment.commandline.AbstractCommandLineEnvironment.redirect(AbstractCommandLineEnvironment.java:124)
        at org.apache.cocoon.environment.ForwardRedirector.doRedirect(ForwardRedirector.java:158)
        at org.apache.cocoon.environment.ForwardRedirector.redirect(ForwardRedirector.java:64)

Re: Forrest crashes without an xdoc/index.xml file

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
greg.vaco@cox.net wrote:
> Dave --
>
> I'm not 100% sure what you're asking.  In fresh-site there a reference to
> "samples/" & "subdir/" in site.xml.  However, I'm having problems in the
> xdoc root directory where I'm forced to rename the index.xml file, not any
> of the sub-directories.
>
> Regarding the "cli.xconf" file, I found a copy in both "site-author\conf"
> and "webapp\WEB-INF", but looking at the file, I'm at a lost to understand
> how to override it.  Can you help me out a little?

http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#ignoring_javadocs
describes how to add your own cli.xconf (we need a specific
FAQ for that).

--David

Posted by gr...@cox.net.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Greg Yenchi wrote:
> Ross --
>
> I still get the SourceExecption after I cleaned up all of the broken link
> messages, except for the one "cocoon://index.html", which I cannot find the
> source for.  I actually had this problem in my own Forrest site where I know
> that I have no broken links, but I re-produced it in fresh-site just to make
> sure it wasn't caused by my other modifications.  Plus, I'm getting the Java
> exception trace, not just the standard broken link message.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate, it seems you have unearthed a
bug.

Please open an issue for us and link back to this thread for
completeness, we'll take a look at the cause soon (I suspect it is
something to do with the link crawler).

Ross

RE: Forrest crashes without an xdoc/index.xml file

> Forrest (Head, revision 125624) seems to assume there's an index.xml file
in the xdoc root directory.  Without this file, Forrest throws a nasty
exception shown below; however, the site seems to render correctly.  To
reproduce this error, seed a fresh project, rename index.xml, and then
update site.xml & tab.xml accordingly.

> An easy workaround is to include a dummy index.xml file, which stops the
exception.  But, I'm not sure if there's some undiscovered side-effect.  Can
anyone shed any light on this problem?

I don't think this is a bug. There are other links to index.html in the
fresh-site and so Forrest is trying to render it (see
samples/usemap.xml). I have not tested it, perhaps you could do that for
me, but if you change *all* references to index.* in fresh-site then
this should go away.

To see what pages are linking to the missing file look at
project_home/build/tmp/brokenlinks.xml

Ross

Re: Forrest crashes without an xdoc/index.xml file

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.