Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ooura, Nobuhito" <oo...@jp.fujitsu.com> on 2016/05/09 05:39:10 UTC

MIMEParsingException on JAX-WS with AJP

Hi, All.

I am using Tomcat8.0.33 and JAX-WS RI 2.2.10.
I am trying to File transfer using JAX-WS with MTOM.
Client connects via reverse proxy made by httpd.
The httpd connects to tomcat by AJP.

When I upload a file several times consecutively, some are completed successful.
But, some will fail by the exception that I showed at the end of this message.

My server.xml remains default.

The same problem occurs with Tomcat 7.0.69.
On the other hand, the problem does not occur when I use HTTP connector not AJP.
And also, the problem did not occur with JBoss EAP 6.1 even if I use AJP connector.
I use the sample program in the following URL for the confirmation of the phenomenon.

Server program
https://github.com/ooura/jaxws-mtom-sample-server
Client program
https://github.com/ooura/jaxws-mtom-sample-client

By configuration, this program can run many client concurrently in multi threads And each client can perform the upload multiple times.
But, I encounted the problem by default. (1 upload / 1 client)
For example, I execute the client 5 times like below.

$ mvn exec:java; mvn exec:java; mvn exec:java; mvn exec:java; mvn exec:java

In my environment, Immediately after the start of the Tomcat, until the fourth successful, but always fail in the fifth.

Is it the bug of tomcat?

When upload failed, I found following exception in catalina.out.

SEVERE [ajp-nio-8009-exec-2] com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.HttpAdapter.invokeAsync Couldn't create SOAP message due to exception: org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEParsingException: Missing start boundary
 com.sun.xml.ws.protocol.soap.MessageCreationException: Couldn't create SOAP message due to exception: org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEParsingException: Missing start boundary
	at com.sun.xml.ws.encoding.SOAPBindingCodec.decode(SOAPBindingCodec.java:319)
	at com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.HttpAdapter.decodePacket(HttpAdapter.java:503)
	at com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.HttpAdapter.invokeAsync(HttpAdapter.java:713)
	at com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.ServletAdapter.invokeAsync(ServletAdapter.java:212)
	at com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServletDelegate.doGet(WSServletDelegate.java:161)
	at com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServletDelegate.doPost(WSServletDelegate.java:197)
	at com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServlet.doPost(WSServlet.java:81)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:648)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:292)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207)
	at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:212)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:106)
	at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:141)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:616)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:88)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:522)
	at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AbstractAjpProcessor.process(AbstractAjpProcessor.java:868)
	at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:666)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1502)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1458)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEParsingException: Missing start boundary
	at org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEParser.skipPreamble(MIMEParser.java:313)
	at org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEParser.access$300(MIMEParser.java:68)
	at org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEParser$MIMEEventIterator.next(MIMEParser.java:149)
	at org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEParser$MIMEEventIterator.next(MIMEParser.java:132)
	at org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEMessage.makeProgress(MIMEMessage.java:198)
	at org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEPart.getHeaders(MIMEPart.java:179)
	at org.jvnet.mimepull.MIMEPart.getContentType(MIMEPart.java:171)
	at com.sun.xml.ws.encoding.MimeMultipartParser$PartAttachment.getContentType(MimeMultipartParser.java:184)
	at com.sun.xml.ws.encoding.SOAPBindingCodec.decode(SOAPBindingCodec.java:359)
	at com.sun.xml.ws.encoding.MimeCodec.decode(MimeCodec.java:195)
	at com.sun.xml.ws.encoding.SOAPBindingCodec.decode(SOAPBindingCodec.java:306)
	... 29 more

Thanks for reading.

RE: MIMEParsingException on JAX-WS with AJP

Posted by "Ooura, Nobuhito" <oo...@jp.fujitsu.com>.
Mark

I tried 7.0.70 and 8.0.36.
(from source code from svn repository)
I confirmed that it no longer failed.

Thank you very much.

Posted by "Ooura, Nobuhito" <oo...@jp.fujitsu.com>.
Mark

> The problem has been fixed for 7.0.x, 8.0.x, 8.5.x and 9.0.x and will be included in
> 7.0.70, 8.0.36, 8.5.3 and 9.0.0.M7.

Thank you for your support.
I try it.

Ooura

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Ooura, Nobuhito" <oo...@jp.fujitsu.com>.
Mark and Christopher

Thank you for your reply.

> Are you using mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp? What versions of everything on the httpd side?
> Specifically, httpd itself as well as mod_jk (if you are using mod_jk, of course).

I'm using httpd 2.2.15-47.el6.centos.4 and mod_proxy_ajp which are provided by CentOS 6.7.
It is latest package from updates repo.
Except that I have added the following settings, httpd.conf is almost default.

<Location / >
    ProxyPass ajp://tomcat:8009/
</Location>

The httpd and tomcat are separated hosts.
There is no FW between httpd and tomcat.
(same ip segment and iptables was disabled)

> > What percentage fail?
>
> +1
>
> Also, do some succeed and then the failure appears to be fatal? Or, do some requests
> succeed and others fail, but they are all mixed together in time? Try running your test
> client 100 times to see what the result is for all 100 trials.

20 of 100 times failed.
I tried 100 times from 1 client, so each request are serialized.
The failure appears regularly. As follows,
Success - Success - Success - Success - Failed ...
If failed, client receives the status code 503.

> > Can you provide a simple web application that demonstrates the
> > problem?
>
> I think OP tried to do that:

Yes.
There are them as follows.

> >> Server program https://github.com/ooura/jaxws-mtom-sample-server
> >> Client program https://github.com/ooura/jaxws-mtom-sample-client

---
Nobuhito

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: MIMEParsingException on JAX-WS with AJP

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.