Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org> on 2007/03/26 21:35:54 UTC

Constant Revision No in sitemap.xmap

I have started working on FOR-922 adjusting sitemap-references to the
changes in the sitemap.
What I'm confused about is that the cited (old) sitemap as well as the
current one display the same revision number in the head of the file

> $Revision: 1.12 $

How can that be after all these changes? Or is that number a left-over
from pre subversion times?

Btw:
That method of converting the sitemap to an html-file in hindsight seems
really a bit waste of time.
So instead I'm planning on putting commented markers into the sitemap
and refer to those in the document.

Regards,
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: Constant Revision No in sitemap.xmap

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> >I have started working on FOR-922 adjusting sitemap-references to the
> >changes in the sitemap.
> >What I'm confused about is that the cited (old) sitemap as well as the
> >current one display the same revision number in the head of the file
> >
> >>$Revision: 1.12 $
> >
> >How can that be after all these changes? Or is that number a left-over
> >from pre subversion times?
>
> We don't use SVN keywords for managing the revision number. SVN does a
> much better job of it.
>
> I guess this is a throw back to when we used SVN.

Of course Ross means CVS.

If the Revision keyword is important to show, then SVN
has properties that can be set. Search the SVN Book.

Otherwise we should remove those old tags.
Using find and grep reveals a lot of them in the
various sitemaps.

Be careful as some of them are necessary when we have
included a W3C DTD for example.

-David

Re: Constant Revision No in sitemap.xmap

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> I have started working on FOR-922 adjusting sitemap-references to the
> changes in the sitemap.
> What I'm confused about is that the cited (old) sitemap as well as the
> current one display the same revision number in the head of the file
>
>> $Revision: 1.12 $
>
> How can that be after all these changes? Or is that number a left-over
> from pre subversion times?

We don't use SVN keywords for managing the revision number. SVN does a
much better job of it.

I guess this is a throw back to when we used SVN.

> Btw:
> That method of converting the sitemap to an html-file in hindsight seems
> really a bit waste of time.
> So instead I'm planning on putting commented markers into the sitemap
> and refer to those in the document.

Sounds good.

Ross