Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/20 19:43:26 UTC

My first plugin to build dependencies from source

Hi all,

Before I go down the road of writing my own plugin, can anyone tell me
if there already exists a plugin that provides this functionality?

1. Resolve all dependencies using functionality similar to dependency:tree.
    - (only fetch poms to local repo, not the jar/zip/etc package)
2. Perform the following steps for each dependency (in reverse
dependency order):
    a. Read the scm connection out of the dependency pom.
    b. Perform an scm:checkout for the dependency.
    c. Compile and install the dependency.

The reasons for wanting a plugin to do this are:
1. Automate checking out the corresponding source code of dependencies.
    a. Make it easier to modify dependencies.
       (but of course, the changes can't be committed directly from
where the tag was checked out)
2. Avoid downloading binary packages (for remote employees it may be
faster to build the code than to download binaries).

Any advice on how to approach this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phillip

Re: My first plugin to build dependencies from source

Posted by Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Before I go down the road of writing my own plugin, can anyone tell me
> if there already exists a plugin that provides this functionality?
>
> 1. Resolve all dependencies using functionality similar to dependency:tree.
>    - (only fetch poms to local repo, not the jar/zip/etc package)

Am I going to have a hard time getting it to resolve dependencies by
only downloading the pom and not the actual package?  I could have
sworn that dependency:resolve and dependency:tree only downloaded the
pom, but now I am seeing that that is not the case.

Posted by Phillip Hellewell <ss...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net> wrote:
>> 2. Avoid downloading binary packages (for remote employees it may be
>> faster to build the code than to download binaries).
>>
> I very much doubt that! Performing a build will take time to compile and
> test (don't forget the unit tests) as well as downloading test dependencies,
> which aren't downloaded otherwise.

You'd be surprised how big some static libs can get :)

But anyway, it doesn't matter.  #1 is the real/main goal.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
> 2. Avoid downloading binary packages (for remote employees it may be
> faster to build the code than to download binaries).

I very much doubt that! Performing a build will take time to compile and
test (don't forget the unit tests) as well as downloading test dependencies,
which aren't downloaded otherwise.

/Anders