Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/18 18:38:50 UTC

[RFC] Issue 2967: XML Output Format

Hi All,
    I have been looking at existing xml-aware outputting subcommands
and I have come up with a suggested XML format of:

<diff type="summary">
  <entries>
    <entry>
      <path />
      <action>[ |A|D|M]</action>
      <property>[ |M]</action>
    </entry>
  </entries>
</diff>

I would like someone to comment on this so we can make a decision and
run with it.

Take care,

Jeremy

Re: [RFC] Issue 2967: XML Output Format

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Mark Phippard" <ma...@gmail.com> writes:
> On 10/18/07, Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mark,
>>     Thanks for the tip.  I did forget to add it in.  What do you think
>> of the structure I'm proposing?
>
> We like to bottom-post on this list.  Since you will be around a lot
> more now, I thought I'd point it out.

I thought Jeremy's recent reply was a good place for top-posting,
actually.

Bottom-posting is not always preferable.  Which way is more
appropriate really depends on context (in this mail, for example,
bottom-posting certainly makes more sense).  See also

Your daily meta-post by,
-Karl

Re: [RFC] Issue 2967: XML Output Format

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 10/18/07, Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark,
>     Thanks for the tip.  I did forget to add it in.  What do you think
> of the structure I'm proposing?

We like to bottom-post on this list.  Since you will be around a lot
more now, I thought I'd point it out.

I think the structure is fine.  If you have not done so already I
would look at the similar commands (list, log, status) and try to
reuse elements and terminology where possible.  I do not have our XML
output memorized, but what you proposed seems right.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/