Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Black Friday <bf...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/06 04:40:56 UTC

Tomcat Memory Leaks

Hi,

My system environment is: Windows 2000 Server. JDK 1.5, tomcat 4.X, Oracle 9

The problem is:

After tomcat was started, the memory of the tomcat grows continuosly,
reaches till 1.3G. The system is 2GB.
This happens when no application is running. After tomcat reaches 1.3G, when
application starts, the response is slow.

Can some one help me with this?

Thanks!!

Re: Tomcat Memory Leaks

Posted by Black Friday <bf...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all your response.

I did see today there were about 6 zip files each of 50-60MB in the WEBAPP
folder. These were some back-up files. I did archive these files to other
folder and restarted the TOMCAT. Now when TOMCAT was restarted, the memory
was reduced and CPU consumption was stabilized.

Could these files have been the reason for the memory leak? If so how?

Thanks,

RE: Tomcat Memory Leaks

Posted by Ilya Kazakevich <ka...@devexperts.com>.
Use profiler.
Take a look at: http://www.yourkit.com/overview/index.jsp

It is a good profiler with manual which will teach you how to use yourkit to
find memory leaks.

====================
Kazakevich Ilya,
MCP, SCJP
====================

Re: Tomcat Memory Leaks

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Diego Rodríguez Martín wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I'm not an expert, but I think Tomcat 4.X is not compatible with JDK
> 1.5.

That is not correct. Tomcat 4.x works quite happily with 1.4, 1.5 and
1.6. I have also had a number of recent versions running on 1.3 and 1.2
JVMs although without extensive testing.

Mark

Re: Tomcat Memory Leaks

Posted by Diego Rodríguez Martín <dr...@altiria.com>.
Hi,

    I'm not an expert, but I think Tomcat 4.X is not compatible with JDK
1.5.

    Regards,

    Diego Rodríguez

Re: Tomcat Memory Leaks

Posted by Anurag Kapur <an...@gmail.com>.
Some servlet on startup 'could' be a problem.
To get a more definite insight, it might be worth obtaining a Java Heap Dump
when you think the memory utilization is very high(close to 1.3G). This
would help you know what objects are consuming a large portion of the heap
and thus a potential indication on what is causing a memory leak.

Cheers
Anurag
Anurag Kapur
Associate - Technology,