Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1999/04/05 01:53:23 UTC

IE5 intercepts 404 Error Message

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:41:04 GMT, adami@sco.com wrote:

>I've just noticed that the new IE5 browser substitutes its own pages in place
>of my standard 404 and 500 error messages. I spent some time developing my 404
>page so that people who got to it stood a chance of finding information on my
>site. I would rather people saw my page than the one Microsoft provide which
>encourages people to use one of their annointed search engines.

Just make sure the custom error page is larger in file size than 512
bytes. IE5's "friendly HTTP error messages" function looks at the file
size to determine what to do -- showing the actual error page or
supplying its own. The default file size limit (on my system) is:

400: 512 bytes
403: 256 bytes
404: 512 bytes
405: 256 bytes
406: 512 bytes
408: 512 bytes
409: 512 bytes
410: 256 bytes
500: 512 bytes
501: 512 bytes
505: 512 bytes

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q218/1/55.asp

Robert

--
Robert Hallgren     <sa...@swipnet.se>
PGP: <http://www.lipogram.com/pgpkey.asc>

Re: IE5 intercepts 404 Error Message

Posted by "Dirk-Willem van Gulik (kim)" <di...@webweaving.org>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:41:04 GMT, adami@sco.com wrote:
>
> >I've just noticed that the new IE5 browser substitutes its own pages in place
> >of my standard 404 and 500 error messages. I spent some time developing my 404
> >page so that people who got to it stood a chance of finding information on my
> >site. I would rather people saw my page than the one Microsoft provide which
> >encourages people to use one of their annointed search engines.
>
> Just make sure the custom error page is larger in file size than 512
> bytes. IE5's "friendly HTTP error messages" function looks at the file
> size to determine what to do -- showing the actual error page or
> supplying its own. The default file size limit (on my system) is:
>
> 400: 512 bytes
> 403: 256 bytes
> 404: 512 bytes
> 405: 256 bytes
> 406: 512 bytes
> 408: 512 bytes
> 409: 512 bytes
> 410: 256 bytes
> 500: 512 bytes
> 501: 512 bytes
> 505: 512 bytes
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q218/1/55.asp

Arg. But the RFC says 'SHOULD' so there is 'nothing' too wrong. So I
guess this bit of 'cleverness' will mean that any 40x and 50x will
need to be padded to 513 bytes. So much for people who carefully
supplied short, but to the point, french, german and what
other helpfull translations.

Good thing that MS where not as clue-less as to apply the same rule
for a 'Not Modified' response.

Dw.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
I think this should go into the known_client_problems page.

And that we should pad custom error messages to 513 bytes for all
error message.  Although I'm tempted to say we should just pad all error

The rfc only says the client SHOULD display the message that comes with
the error response... so technically they're within spec.  I just think
this is a pretty dumb way to do it.  They could have handled a good 54% of
stock error responses by doing some simple pattern matches.

Dean